network upgrade install

Discuss Networking
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

network upgrade install

Post by cdhgold » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:34 pm

I have a suse 9.3 box with SSH access to it only. I have no physical access to it or any of its drives. I want to upgrade it to 10.1. Can anyone suggest a way to do this upgrade remotely.

Cdhgold

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:49 pm

The only systems I have ever upgraded remotely were Red Hat and Fedora systems using apt and most recently FC4->FC5 via yum. I may have also upgraded a Debian system here and there using apt. I tried to upgrade the Void server from FC5->FC6 using yum but ran into big problems and I am not sure if it's really possible (without jumping through hoops that is). I guess my answer is "I doubt there is an easy way". That's not to say there isn't as I don't have a lot of recent SUSE experience. I have been doing some Google searching and haven't come up with a lot. I did find an article on how to upgrade a SUSE system via apt but it was an old doc for older versions. It also looked fairly tricky. I would at least consider it risky and wouldn't want to do it without first testing on locally on a very similarly configured system.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:25 pm

I actually was successful upgrading the voidmain web server from FC5->FC6 via yum today. This is how:

Code: Select all

# yum clean all
# rpm -Uhv http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/fedora-release-6-4.noarch.rpm http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/fedora-release-notes-6-3.noarch.rpm
# yum -y update
I know that doesn't help you any but I had to update my comment about not being able to do the upgrade.