Void's "Bricked" Linksys WRT54 Router Guide

Discuss Networking
Copperhead
scripter
scripter

Void's "Bricked" Linksys WRT54 Router Guide

Post by Copperhead » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:50 pm

I thought that I'd share this with you guys, since if any of you are like me, and you are running a Version 6 or greater.

This site has a nice easy way upgrade your router's firmware from that crap Linksys was using to dd-wrt, a Linux firmware.

http://www.wrtrouters.com/guides/upgradetolinux/

I am still playing with it now, and I will post more as I go along. What I would like to do is eventually use an openwrt type image so I can use iptables, and all of the other Linux tools.

I am assuming that in theory, Void's guide will work on a "bricked" router, by simply uploading the dd-wrt.bin file via tftp. Perhaps he would like to chime in. :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:21 am

I see that site has a link to my revival instructions. The revival instructions on my site are not OS dependent, however if you are talking about one of these newer routers that come with the VxWorks I don't know if it works or not (because I think the hardware is different). Not sure if I have heard from anyone who has one of these that has tried it. I know on some models you have to short different pins than what I mention in my instructions. I have 4 of the older (better) WRT routers and I run OpenWrt on mine. In fact I just upgraded two of them to Kamikaze. I also created ZipTie adapters to back them up:

http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=16427

Copperhead
scripter
scripter

Post by Copperhead » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:10 am

I haven't been able to get OpenWrt to work on my version 6 router. I believe it is like you said -- You probably have to use a different set of pins. Plus, the board looks nothing like the board in your picture, so I didn't want to fry the thing.

DD Wrt is working great, though. I was able to get iptales running, along with snort, and clamav (for my windoid girlfriend's "worm-catcher") Definitely a better alternative to that VxWorks crap that Linksys is now using.