Free dialup Internet access?

Discuss Networking
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Free dialup Internet access?

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Anyone know of a free dialup ISP in the US? NetZero used to be free but isn't any more. I was thinking that I could use it for internet access in remote areas where I had cell phone access but no internet access. I could use my cell phone as a modem to dial the ISP. I would be able to get free internet access without having to pay for a data plan from my cell phone provider.

Another and possibly better option I was thinking of is just dialing into a modem at home that would be connected to the land line and using it as my access out through my DSL connection. It would just be a ppp connection to one of my Linux boxes.

The only problem with the land line method is I have just one land line and it has an answering machine on it. I'm not sure how I could use the line for both a dialup modem and a voice line with an answering machine without adding the distinctive ring service to my line and using a switch (or somehow have the modem detect the distinctive ring) and start the pppd if it's a data call. I'm obviously looking for the absolute least expensive way to have the most capability.

I see the distinctive ring feature would cost me around $5/mo extra. It might be better than getting a connection for $5/mo to an ISP but if I can find a free ISP to dial in to (Linux supported of course)....

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:59 pm

what kind of cell phone? Most will use the data feature of the cell phones as a modem and you can use that? The ones I know work are the PDA type phones but they have to have a data plan. My old AT&T blackberry worked with my linux laptop using barry...I did not get it sync with evolution but allowed me to get to the internet...

http://ostatic.com/blog/make-your-black ... with-barry

is this what you mean?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:13 pm

No, the modem in my Motorola phone works perfectly with Linux (even over Bluetooth). What I am looking for is a free ISP to dial in to using that modem. I already tested that I can connect to my father's ISP but I don't want to use his account and I want to do this for free. Just looking for a NetZero like service (they used to be free) that doesn't require some sort of windows program to work with them.

My alternative option is to set up a modem at the house to dial in to from my cell phone while I am away from home and have no alternate way of connecting to the internet (no gas station with free wifi nearby, etc). So if I'm in the mountains and can get cell phone service I can dial over my mobile phone to the free ISP or to a modem connected to a land line at my house which would get me a ppp connection. Just looking for a free way to get Internet access when I'm on the fringe.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:53 pm

Issue solved! My DSL is ATT/Yahoo DSL and since I have a DSL account I can also use ATT dialup with that same account. I am posting this through a ppp connection through my cell phone modem into ATT dialup. It's not fast but it's usable.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:48 pm

I'm in the back seat of an Excursion right now heading up north for a ski trip. The ATT dialup through the Cell phone is working pretty good!

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:13 pm

so it seems...