in need of Open WRT wisdom

Discuss Networking
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

in need of Open WRT wisdom

Post by cdhgold » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:55 am

i just got a linksys wireless router with OpenWrt already on it . I have been told there are settings in it that can modified to get higher wireless signal strength .. can someone point me in the right direction on how to make the most of this device..

my LAN does not require a DMZ as all my hosting needs are covered ( I work for a hosting company) but i do want to implement a VPN into my home network for secure access from my work

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:21 pm

There is a wealth of information on the openwrt.org site and forums. You can change the txpower setting but I'm not sure it does a lot of good. Do you have a distance issue? Might consider an alternate antennae?

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:50 pm

nah just looking to get a few more bars at other end of house .. seperate question ..can it runs a DNS server?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:00 am

Yes, it should be running a DNS/DHCP server out of the box. What version of OpenWrt are you running? Do you have the web interface installed?

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:11 am

at work now so do not have access to it but yes teh webinterface is loaded .. I know it is providing dns resolution for web but what i meant is can it do a local dsn zone for my lan .. first quick glance didn't see that option

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:37 am

Yes it can/does. OpenWrt uses dnsmasq, check out /etc/dnsmasq.conf. You can set your domain in there and you can add hosts to /etc/hosts on the openwrt router and dnsmasq will show them in DNS as if they are part of your domain. Pretty easy. I also make use of /etc/ethers to set names and addresses of certain DHCP clients.