Newbie FTP problem

Discuss Networking
sh00der
scripter
scripter

Newbie FTP problem

Post by sh00der »

Hi, I am having a problem when using ftp to access files on an M$ system. Here's my setup, I am using RedHat 8.0 on the main machine and linking to the M$ machine through 10/100 NICs and a crossover cable. My network card is set up in Network Configuration Utility and seems to be working. I have tried using the 'ftp' command from a terminal and also using gFTP. It seems to login to the machine alright but then I can't see any of the partitions on the remote server (C:, D:, E:, etc). What am I doing wrong? BTW using Flash FXP from a Win boot works fine. Thanks.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN »

I am not really sure what you are trying to do but you have to define an ftp directory for each user or a group on your HDD.

You will never see any of your drives using ftp unless you define the ftp directory to be "My Computer" but I am not sure if that would even work because I have never tried due to the serious securit breach that could possibly occur. If someone were to brute force your ftp password then they would not even have to try to break out of the ftp directory because they would already be at the highest level.

What it sounds like you are wanting to do is some file sharing betwen your systems??

If this is true you need to setup samba on your linux box and enable windows file sharing on Windows and declare a directory to share. If you wanted to see drives you can share entire drives on Windows but again this would not be a good idea.

To share a file or drive on Windows just right click the drive or file and choose the "sharing" option and enable sharing of that file or drive and choose a share name for that file or drive or just accept the default.

Hope this answered some of your question at least..

sh00der
scripter
scripter

Post by sh00der »

Thanks for the reply ZiaTioN, what I'm trying to do is simply link to another box through a network connection. The security breach isn't a problem because I am at home, with a link between my pc with Linux on and a spare box with windows on. I am not connected to the internet while doing it.
The reason I'm doing it is because I already have two hard drives and two cdroms in my Linux pc but I would like to be able to access the hard drive on the spare pc and the second drive in my Linux pc at the same time - if you follow. I have some large files to move and last time I had to swap the Linux drive for the spare and boot from Windows.
I did some more playing around and it seems that I can move around the file structure when using ftp but when I try to do 'ls' or 'dir' it hangs. It also doesn't let me do 'get' or 'put'.
In gFTP it reports a connection but then says 'could not establish a data connection' with the host ip address.
I think I must be missing a simple step.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN »

Well you need to configure your ftp server. Although it might be installed by default and listening it might not be pointed at a home directory yet. If you just want to do some file sharing I think that some simple file sharing with Samba will be your best bet. There are tons of tutorials all around the net on this subject.

Basically install and configure Samba on your Linux box and enable windows file sharing on your windows box. On your windows box right clisk your drive you want to access and go through the steps in my previous steps.

Then you should be able to access files and transfer back and forth.

sh00der
scripter
scripter

Post by sh00der »

ZiaTioN, I still can't get it to work. What I can't understand is that if boot up in windows I can ftp just fine but I just can't seem to get it to work in Linux.

sh00der
scripter
scripter

Cracked the FTP problem

Post by sh00der »

I finally found out what was going wrong with ftping, the firewall setting on my RH8 machine. It was set on 'high' and when I changed it to 'medium' it worked fine.
Is it advisable to have the firewall set on 'high' when accessing the internet?