um... That was dumb

Discuss Networking
Tux
guru
guru

um... That was dumb

Post by Tux »

Well somewhat (ok very much) stupidly I deleted the mysql database on one of my servers. How do I get this back, you know just the vanilla 'mysql' database that is installed as standard?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

And you were keeping no database backups (dumps)? I think that's very bad considering that database holds all of the users and permissions, etc... The only thing I can imagine you could do in such a case would be to reistall MySQL and rebuild everything from scratch. Database dumps are an easy things to do and setting up a cron job to dump the database is usually one of the first thing I do when creating a database. I know that doesn't help. I did do some searching and didn't come up with anything.

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 »

Something that is deleted can always be recovered.......Get hold of some forensic tools and try ur luck..

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

You also might try posting this question on Linux Kung Fu over at Ars. You might get some dumb responses but you will likely get some good answers. There are some pretty good people there:

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopi ... f=96509133

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Nevermind, I have fixed it myself :D
I was actually suprised how easy it was.
I just did a 'mysql_install_db', then had to chown everything in the mysql database directory to mysql:mysql and bob's yer uncle and fanny's yer aunt.

Need to sort a few things out but it could have been alot worse.
Tomorrow, I find a job...

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Although I didn't need to go there for my problem, I did take a fly by to arstechnica and it looked quite good so i've signed up.
My nick over there is 'ad nauseam' by the way.
Last edited by Tux on Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

That's cool. You certainly would have to recreate your MySQL users and database/host/etc permissions correct?

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Yeh, I do but fortunately it is a P75 test server that has just been gathering dust over the past few months.
I had to dig it out for a project i'm working on because I dont have a case to run my Athlon 1Ghz guts in. I guess i'm lucky that this was an extremely unimportant box, but oh well we live and learn.

By the way do you know whether I will be able to develop a PHP+MySQL site on this LAMP server here and have it run properly on an IIS+MS-SQL server?
I don't particularly want a date with Win2k server anytime soon and i've never actually used MS-SQL extensively; I was just wondering does MS-SQL actually implement SQL properly?
I mean, we know what Micro$ost is like with standards and languages...

ps. Void I know you probably can't answer this as you have distanced yourself from windows, but anyone else got a clue? :?

pps. I have no choice about running on winders, it is what the client wants... :roll:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

You are correct that this is the wrong forum for the Windows question. Having said that, MSSQL is really nothing more than a hacked up version of Sybase. After all they bought the Sybase code base to create MSSQL. You know they can't actually innovate anything on their own.