Content Filtering for Cybercafe...

Discuss Networking
agent007
administrator
administrator

Content Filtering for Cybercafe...

Post by agent007 »

hi all,

I need to setup content filtering for a cybercafe....There are 10 Windows based systems. On the main server [server has a modem], I plan to install RedHat9 with squid and dansfiltering to filter the stuff...

Do I need to install SAMBA on the server so that the windows systems can access the internet? How do I configure the windows systems to *see* the linux server? Also, how do I configure DHCP?

thanks,

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

i apologise in advance for not knowing the answer to any of your questions but i have to ask why you believe it is necessary for the users to use windows machines? surely it would be cheaper licencewise, and more stable (ergo less work) to run a recent mainstream linux, probably the same red hat you plan to use on the gateway? (with mozilla, netscape, konqueror etc on kde of course)

just sticking my oar in...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I do all of the above on Red Hat Linux using Squid, Dansfilter, etc. I can't imagine running a cyber cafe off of one dialup connection though (although it can be done). A few years back I ran my Linux gateway with my external interface being a PPP dialup. It automatically dialed my ISP whenever it detected a client trying to access the net, then hung up after a specified period of inactivity (using "diald"). Now I have a cable connection so life is much easier. I have a tip in my Red Hat tips section for setting up DHCP/DNS. You don't need Samba installed if you only want to use the Linux server as a web proxy/gateway. Just configure your proxy settings in your clients browsers to point to the Linux server's IP address and proxy port (3128 is the Squid default, Dansguardian is on a different port).

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 »

hi Calcum,

Thing is, its not my cybercafe....I'm setting this up for someone else...Right now, he wants to c how the filtering will work. So I need to prove the gateway thing first before we migrate to GNU/Linux...

Calum wrote:i apologise in advance for not knowing the answer to any of
your questions but i have to ask why you believe it is necessary for the users to use windows machines? surely it would be cheaper licencewise, and more stable (ergo less work) to run a recent mainstream linux, probably the same red hat you plan to use on the gateway? (with mozilla, netscape, konqueror etc on kde of course)

just sticking my oar in...

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 »

hi Voidmain,

What if someone were to remove the IP addy from the browser in windows? Isi'nt there a global way of specifying an IP? That way, one wouldnt have the trouble of setting up IP addys in all the browsers....

thanks.
Void Main wrote:I do all of the above on Red Hat Linux using Squid, Dansfilter, etc. I can't imagine running a cyber cafe off of one dialup connection though (although it can be done). A few years back I ran my Linux gateway with my external interface being a PPP dialup. It automatically dialed my ISP whenever it detected a client trying to access the net, then hung up after a specified period of inactivity (using "diald"). Now I have a cable connection so life is much easier. I have a tip in my Red Hat tips section for setting up DHCP/DNS. You don't need Samba installed if you only want to use the Linux server as a web proxy/gateway. Just configure your proxy settings in your clients browsers to point to the Linux server's IP address and proxy port (3128 is the Squid default, Dansguardian is on a different port).

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

i thought it might be something like that, well good luck!

as an aside, why is it that i get called calcum so often? it's pretty insulting, i haven't figured out if it's deliberate or not!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

agent007 wrote:hi Voidmain,

What if someone were to remove the IP addy from the browser in windows? Isi'nt there a global way of specifying an IP? That way, one wouldnt have the trouble of setting up IP addys in all the browsers....
If someone is able to remove the proxy addresses from IE then I would say you don't have your machines locked down well enough. You can lock these things down with policies. Having said that, you could do a transparent proxy and then you don't even need to set the proxy settings in IE.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Calum wrote:ias an aside, why is it that i get called calcum so often? it's pretty insulting, i haven't figured out if it's deliberate or not!
My guess is that it is a slip of the fingers. Hopefully I've never done it. :) Sometimes I catch my fingers typing things that I do not intend because they have some sort of pattern memory problem. That is my fingers are so used to typing certain words that when I try to type words that are spelled similarly my fingers will type the word that they are used to typing instead. It makes for a fast typist, but an error prone one as well.

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 »

oops! I'm sorry...just noticed the mistake....

Calum wrote:i thought it might be something like that, well good luck!

as an aside, why is it that i get called calcum so often? it's pretty insulting, i haven't figured out if it's deliberate or not!

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

sometimes i'm just paranoid! :-D

i have that with the word window. before i know it i type "windows" every time" it's VERY distressing! :shock:

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

Yes Calcum, why arnt you whereing your tin foil beanie today, the goverment mind rays will get you.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

Not Found
The requested URL /irulz0r/oops/theywontgetme.jpg was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.26 Server at users.tpg.com.au Port 80
looks like they got you first.