Modem compatibility

Discuss Networking
incredibleman
n00b
n00b

Modem compatibility

Post by incredibleman »

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive pci modem that I can use with Lycoris Desktop/LX? I do not have an abundance of funds and I just want something to help me connect to the WWW

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank »

I would recommend this as the first base for narrowing down your options.

http://www.lycoris.org/links.php?op=viewlink&cid=1

Check the list, then compare prices from your favorite stores - This list also includes DSL modems.

This list is good in that it states modems that explicitly do not work. As long as the modem you get is not a WinModem, or requires some proprietary protocol to operate (like the Alcatel modems) you should be golden.

There is a site somewhere - someone here might have the URL, that is dedicated to modems under Linux.

incredibleman
n00b
n00b

Modem compatibility

Post by incredibleman »

I have already been to that website and have canvassed many of the "Computer Superstores" for any of the working models listed but I keep coming up empty-handed. What I am looking for is anything that the readers of this forum are using to connect to the internet on a linux/unix system. I could then take those suggestions and search all of the used computer parts distributors, hopefully not coming up empty-handed.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Computer superstores will only sell the most popular models which will invariably be winmodems, so check some online sites.
I don't live in the states so I can't recommend anywhere, but i'm sure void can.

Wait. Try www.ebuyer.com
They are an English company but they've started operating in your neck of the woods. I've always had good experiences with them; fast, cheap and reliable.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

"Modems? Where we're going, we don't *need* modems." (Back to the Future) :)

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

are we talking about dialup modems? if so i have to recommend using a serial port modem instead of a PCI one. this will enable you to buy any modem at all and know it will work. to me this is like gold. i haven't dialed up for ages (and don't have a dialup account), but no way will i ever get rid of my 56k external serial port modem, you just never know when...