CROSS COMPILE; TRANSFER AND EXECUTE

Discuss Programming
thetraste
n00b
n00b

CROSS COMPILE; TRANSFER AND EXECUTE

Post by thetraste » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:47 am

Dear friends
I am a bit fed up with this cross-compilation, I am desesperatelly looking for help. I think I misunderstand sth. I explian the case:

I am using sveasoft firmware. Well, I have download wrt54.2.04.4.tgz I have used the cross compiler included inside to compile one of my prograss (mipsel-linux-gcc), then I upload it to the linksys and then I do chmod +x program and then I execute ./program and it says; "program" not found...

What do I havce to do to make my own programs and upload them to the linksys????. DO I have to make a new formware wiuth the program inside (as a command) to make it work??

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:17 am

I do not use SVEASOFT, nor will I ever use SVEASOFT. Sorry about that. I would suggest giving OpenWRT a try:

http://www.openwrt.org/

thetraste
n00b
n00b

Post by thetraste » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:53 am

Hi
Well I tried with openwrt, too (before using sveasoft)... As I undestartnd, openwrt needs ipkgs to run external applications. I tried to build a package.. with both ipkg-build and ipkg-buildpackage... but it said sth like: "spurce field is missing" then ) wrote a new line in control file like this:
Source: ../program
(referencing the executable file inside the package structure), when I made the package it did not say anything... So everything ok.. Afetr uploading I tried ipkg install xxx.ipk and then it says sth related to the tar file: control.tgz was incorrect or sth like that...

Now I even doubt if it could be possible to upload my own programs and get it run on the linksys. I have spent 3 weeks with this issues and I do not know what it could be caused by. Could it be because of he ftp transmission of the executable to the linksys??

If sth of this rings a bell, please reply this post
Thanks

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:43 am

You don't need ipkg to create and install other applications, although I have built ipkg packages for net-snmp:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/files/ipkg/

I didn't use any ipkg build or anything like that either, I build the ipkg by hand. Also the "ipkg" command goes out and get's the ipkg from a remote server and installs it much like apt-get does. An ipkg is nothing more than a tar file and you can use "tar" to unbundle an ipkg file. You don't need ipkg though, it just makes installation a little neater because you can have ipkg repositories of apps. Sort of like RPM and apt-get for Red Hat. I would be *more* than happy to help you build what you want for OpenWRT. What application are you wanting to build that isn't included with it? Remember, you are *extremely* limited on memory (both for storage and for running).

pbtran
user
user

Re: CROSS COMPILE; TRANSFER AND EXECUTE

Post by pbtran » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:13 pm

I have a similar problem. Cross compiling C++ programs (e.g. Hello World) using mipsel-linux-g++ from the default LinkSys GPL build compiles fine, but run-time execution will give the "no found" message.

I was not able to compile C++ Hello World program using the mipsel-uclibc-g++ (which btw soft links to mipsel-uclibc=gcc binary), since the C++ STL are not there (e.g. vector, maps, etc...)

I was able to get a C Hello World program to work fine (compiled and run on firmware).

Has anyone successfully compile and execute a C++ program onto the WRT54G/GL v4 via telnet?

e.g. Run-time on GL router via telnet:
# ./test1 (C++ version)
./test1: not found
# ./test2 (C version)
Hello World!

thetraste wrote:Dear friends
I am a bit fed up with this cross-compilation, I am desesperatelly looking for help. I think I misunderstand sth. I explian the case:

I am using sveasoft firmware. Well, I have download wrt54.2.04.4.tgz I have used the cross compiler included inside to compile one of my prograss (mipsel-linux-gcc), then I upload it to the linksys and then I do chmod +x program and then I execute ./program and it says; "program" not found...

What do I havce to do to make my own programs and upload them to the linksys????. DO I have to make a new formware wiuth the program inside (as a command) to make it work??

pbtran
user
user

Re: CROSS COMPILE; TRANSFER AND EXECUTE

Post by pbtran » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:14 pm

thetraste wrote:Dear friends