Discuss Programming
shira
user
user

this section deserves a topic in it

Post by shira »

to keep it on topic...

What programming languages do you know

I know some C++ and Qbasic (as well as a bunch of the BASIC spinoffs since they are all pretty alike)

I shouldn't mention QB since it is a M$ language but oh well

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Well, I've been doing this for a long time although for the last 8 years or so I would say I have been doing 80% administration/engineering and 20% programming. For about 12 years prior to that I was closer to 100% programming. Let's see if I can remember all the languages I programmed somewhat extensively in.. C, Pascal, FORTRAN, PV-WAVE, ARCINFO, SAS, CLIST, ASM, ADA, COBOL, Perl, PHP, REXX, ksh/sh/bash, BATCH, several incarnations of Basic (including some VB). Hmmm, I know there are a few I am forgetting.

But like I said, I have been less programmer over the last 8 years so some of the above would be alien to me today, others would take a little brusing up but I am fairly proficient at most of the scripting languages because that is what I use most often anymore (Perl/PHP/Shell).

shira
user
user

Post by shira »

I know some C too but I find C++ to be more efficient

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

shira wrote:I know some C too but I find C++ to be more efficient
I have programmed for so many years in non OO languages that I just can't get the hang of C++, Java, etc.. God knows I've tried. I guess the old saying must be true "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".

shira
user
user

Post by shira »

Void Main wrote:I have programmed for so many years in non OO languages that I just can't get the hang of C++, Java, etc.. God knows I've tried. I guess the old saying must be true "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".
I've heard that php and C++ are pretty similar so you're part of the way there

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Well I do a lot of programming in PHP but not using OO (classes and the like) so no, it really is no benefit. The way I program in PHP is more C like.

shira
user
user

Post by shira »

Void Main wrote:Well I do a lot of programming in PHP but not using OO (classes and the like) so no, it really is no benefit. The way I program in PHP is more C like.
I see

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas »

I havent done much C but if i see a piece of in C i can more or less u nderstand what its doing.

From what I read so far, C++ is more flexible and advanced when using Arrays, classes and pointers.

C++ is a bitch many times, but i REALLY REALLY like it for two reasons.

a)Portability. This aint stupid VB.
b) You dont need to type your ass off on commands. Vzam vzmou everything is typed the fast way.

TheQuirk
programmer
programmer

Post by TheQuirk »

C, PHP, and a weebit of Java (I'm not actually that good with any of them--I can do some nifty stuff, but I'm still learning :?).

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

I know everything Quirk just said and more. I know C++, shell scripts, And the entire subset of lovly Microsoft Basic.

I am better then Quirk.

I am better then you.

Nut im not going to be better then VoidMain.

TheQuirk
programmer
programmer

Post by TheQuirk »

X11 wrote:I know everything Quirk just said and more. I know C++, shell scripts, And the entire subset of lovly Micro$oft Basic.

I am better then Quirk.

I am better then you.

No you're not. First of all, Shell _SCRIPTS_ do not count as programming languages. Second of all, you're in the tenth grade and still don't know the difference between "then" and "than". Third of all, you NEVER, EVER have ANYTHING useful to say. Just stupid crap, which you probably make up half of the time.

Idiot.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

TheQuirk wrote:
X11 wrote:I know everything Quirk just said and more. I know C++, shell scripts, And the entire subset of lovly Micro$oft Basic.

I am better then Quirk.

I am better then you.

No you're not. First of all, Shell _SCRIPTS_ do not count as programming languages. Second of all, you're in the tenth grade and still don't know the difference between "then" and "than". Third of all, you NEVER, EVER have ANYTHING useful to say. Just stupid crap, which you probably make up half of the time.

Idiot.
if your going to flame me, dont do it here, and just wait till i see you on gaim again, i will then flame you. I was partially joking, and your a liar.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee »

riight comeone this isnt the MES boys :)

Im interested in gettin started with java, do i need that SDK thing or what cos it 40 megs and although im on ADSL its still a bit of a hefty download. Is there a java compiler (im guessing thats what the SDK is) on the redhat disks? Ill prolly just download the SDK anywaybut its a biggish download for something i havnt even started elarning yet.

TheQuirk
programmer
programmer

Post by TheQuirk »

X11 wrote:
TheQuirk wrote:

I am better then Quirk.

I am better then you.

Idiot.
if your going to flame me, dont do it here, and just wait till i see you on gaim again, i will then flame you. I was partially joking, and your a liar.
First off, that's "you're". Second of all, how the hell am I a "liar"?

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

TheQuirk wrote:

I am better then Quirk.

I am better then you.

Idiot.
What, you make up stupid crap, like kyle being fat for instance. Dude i was joking you know, dont get all angry because im so good looking, its not my fault, i was born that way. How would you feel if you where good looking and people made fun of you.

I wouldnt say im better then most people, just i have been programming since i was 9, and when i get used to any language i know lots of little methods and crap, and generally people tell me im a good programmer. Anyway I was joking, i may not know php as well as you do, but hey, im good looking, and i know at least somthing about everything.