SPAM research project - suggestions?

Discuss Programming
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

SPAM research project - suggestions?

Post by Void Main » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:20 pm

A couple years back I decided to start analyzing the SPAM I was getting to see what I could figure out about the systems it was coming from:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/spam/

I think I did this for a few months straight and in 99% of the cases the SPAM came from Windows machines. Surely an infected zombie that the owner had no clue they were sending out SPAM.

On a somewhat related note we caught a machine on our network at work that was infected with a mass emailer trojan and sending out SPAM. I guess one machine out of around 50,000 isn't bad.

I have been running sendmail+spamassassin+spamass-milter here at home and it has caught nearly 100% of the SPAM that's been coming in. I think around once a month a SPAM message has gotten past it. Only one time has it falsely marked a message as SPAM. I currently have all the SPAM diverted from all mail coming to all address I manage at home in to a separate spam account.

I would like to start an automated interrogation of the addresses that the spam is coming from and insert the resulting data into either a log file or database. Writing the interrogation process and logging to a file or database is simple but I'm having trouble deciding the best way to hook into the sendmail chain to kick off the interrogation. Initially I thought that hacking the spamass-milter would probably be the easiest thing to do. I thought I could create a fifo and in the spamass-milter code where it determines SPAM I could output the IP address the message was received from in the fifo file. I would then have a completely separate perl script reading the fifo and acting on the addresses that come in and logging the results of the nmap, nmblookup, etc.

So I "apt-get source spamass-milter" and started looking at the source and I think I found the place to insert the code to write to the fifo but I'm not quite sure how to get the address. I didn't spend a lot of time on it. I thought another way might be to just have a process that watches the /var/log/maillog file but that isn't the easiest of tasks either as you would have to relate several lines of log to get all of the needed information for a SPAM message.

Just wondering if anyone might have an easy idea other than what I've been able to come up with.

Thanks!

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:16 pm

FYI, you are in trademark violation. :D
wikipedia wrote:According to Hormel's trademark guidelines, Spam should be spelled with all capital letters and treated as an adjective, as in the phrase SPAM luncheon meat.
When referring to unwanted email by using all capital letters, as if it was an acronym (which it is not), you are actually officially referring to the luncheon meat. The correct usage is 'spam'.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:45 pm

I actually know that but I can't break myself of the habit. Now, do you have any other suggestions? :)

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:48 am

yep, use lower case letters.

no no, don't thank me! all in a days work for... CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

:) :) :)