Measuring time

Discuss Programming
worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:16 am

How sad that they have more ASP than JavaScript. And how sad that they lump perl in with CGI.

More of a web developer's site than a programming site.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:06 am

well yeah, it says that on the intro.

There's still a lot of usefull things in there.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:22 pm

worker201 wrote:How sad that they have more ASP than JavaScript. And how sad that they lump perl in with CGI.

More of a web developer's site than a programming site.
Yeah, if you are looking for a more programmer oriented perl site check out perlmonks. Very very smart perl programmers on there.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:04 am

I actually started doing some tutorials at perlmonks, but when I realized they were just paraphrasing the Llama book, I decided the book would be more concise and easier to learn from.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:52 am

Well considering that the authors of the Llama books are perlmonks members, they (the tutorials) may have been created before the books were written. :-)
Learning Perl
By Randal L Schwartz, Brian D Foy, Tom Phoenix
Randal Schwartz is merlin
Brian D Foy is brian_d (I think)
Not sure who Tom Phoenix is...

merlin is a dickhead, so take how he treats you with a grain of salt. He is one of the best perl programmers out there so if you can weed through his insults you may be able to get some valuable info from him. I personally choose to tell him to fsck off because there are plenty of other knowledgeable people who can assist without being jerks.

It is not a usual occurance to be able to ask questions of the founders and developers of a language. It is rumored that Larry Wall also has an account there but no one has ever outed him.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:27 am

I was just thinking how cool it would be to be uber-elite. Like "I have a question about C, I'm going to call up Brian Kernighan" or "yeah, I was at the bar discussing tcsh with Dennis Ritchie last night". What a great learning environment that would be! No wonder all those guys are geniuses - they hung around each other at Bell Labs or MIT or wherever and fed off of each other. Must've been exciting times.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:10 pm

wow...do you watch paint dry? JK

That would be kewl...Hey Larry, can you help me solve this subroutine? Yes, I'll buy the beer! See you in an hour.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:45 pm

JoeDude wrote:That would be kewl...Hey Larry, can you help me solve this subroutine? Yes, I'll buy the beer! See you in an hour.
Thats pretty much what its like at my school when we're working on homework or projects.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:32 pm

Master of Reality wrote:
JoeDude wrote:That would be kewl...Hey Larry, can you help me solve this subroutine? Yes, I'll buy the beer! See you in an hour.
Thats pretty much what its like at my school when we're working on homework or projects.
Except it's probably not Larry Wahl you're offering to buy beer for...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:50 pm

worker201 wrote:
Master of Reality wrote:
Maybe this Larry?

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:54 am

Void Main wrote:
worker201 wrote:
Master of Reality wrote:Thats pretty much what its like at my school when we're working on homework or projects.
Maybe this Larry?

I'd buy beer for that Larry as well!

GIT R DUN!