mysql-5.1.44 rpmbuild FAIL

Discuss Programming
Copperhead
scripter
scripter

mysql-5.1.44 rpmbuild FAIL

Post by Copperhead » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:41 pm

I've been at this a few days now, and keep getting the same errors.

System Pentium 3 1GB RAM running CentOS 5.4

I see this pop up during the rpmbuild -ba output of the .spec file:

Using `AC_PROG_RANLIB' is rendered obsolete by `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
You should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.

Then, when I get into Makefile.am, I receive this error:

checking how to create a ustar tar archive... gnutar
./configure: line 2343: LT_INIT: command not found
./configure: line 2344: syntax error near unexpected token `1.5.6'
./configure: line 2344: `LT_PREREQ(1.5.6)'
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.92191 (%build)

Any ideas? Or do I need to add some more information?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:36 am

Copperhead
scripter
scripter

Post by Copperhead » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks Void,

I looked over that page you gave me, and I didn't see the patch anywhere. There was a link to a "fix" but it took me to a 404 page. Does this mean I should just wait for the 5.1.45 release? I am kind of new to patching "bleeding" software.

It also said something about the mysql trunk tree. I googled it, but could not find it anywhere.

They were right about one thing, and that it most modern distros being behind when it comes to libtools. CentOS 5.4 is using libtools 1.5 where mysql 5.1.44 requires libtools 2.2. This is for all work for a client. I just did an install on a FreeBSD system, and they are up to libtools 2.2, so if there is not a quick fix to this, I am just going to run their mysql server on a cloud machine with freebsd. That is, unless they have another physical box available.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:40 pm

I always use the RPMs that come with the distro. Is there something wrong with the MySQL RPMs in the CentOS build?

Copperhead
scripter
scripter

Post by Copperhead » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:33 pm

Nothing that wouldn't satisfy me, but CentOS is kind of like teh Debian of rpm based distros, in the sense that most of their packages are ancient. I am not sure what these guys are doing (my clients) buy they need mysql > 5.1. CentOS is at 5.0.77. I've been looking around for RPM packages, but I would rather just build them myself. These guys always forget some ./configure option, or some module, so even a source RPM that I could extract from and build off of would help.

They needed PHP 5.3, which I was able to find and install. That was easy.

The big problem is that workaround with libtools. CentOS 5.4 is still using libtools v 1.5. On that bug report you sent me, it said that any libtools < 2.1 would give you the same build errors. Generally, I don't like to mess with system libraries, especially on a production machine, but like I said, FreeBSD has libtools 2.2 and in the ports collection, it has mysql 5.1. They are trying to take the cheap way out of this, and keep it all on one machine, but I told them that is was good practice to keep your DB machine separate from your server. Another part of the problem is that these guys know very little about Linux, so getting them to work on a FreeBSD machine would be like pulling teeth.

I am looking into bazaar right now, and seeing if I can pull the mysql tree. I've never used this before either.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:50 am

I heard that the boys behind CentOS is arguing about how they want CentOS to keep working or something like that, so I think CentOS is going down the drain :( if nothing big happens.
Think I heard this about a year ago, but haven't made any effort to get into it.

Maybe that's why their RPM packages are old, cos they don't update them any more.

Copperhead
scripter
scripter

Post by Copperhead » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:44 am

They use many of the same repos that Red Hat Enterprise Linux uses. Or maybe I should say that their repos are just copied. Whatever comes out for RHEL comes out for CentOS and before that, White Box, so I don't think it s because of old packages. CentOS is, like what I was saying before, like Debian in the way that Debian uses old packages because of the stability factor. It is also the reason that any Debian users have switched over to Ubuntu.

I don't mind building the packages. In fact, I could use the practice. It is a skill that I am lacking, and I see it constantly in job postings. I just built the 2.6.33 kernel RPM, httpd 2.2.15 RPM, and I am working on building a dspam rpm right now. In enjoy tailoring the RPMs to suit my needs and passing them along to others in the community.

I should check and see what goes into building libtools 2.2. FC has a src.rpm out, and I could always cheat by extracting the source, and modifying the spec file to suit my needs. It's either that, or figure out this bazaar program, since this seems like it is the only way to checkout mysql sources/patches from CVS or subversion.