Snort on Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router Help

Discuss Programming
Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Mon May 07, 2007 4:17 am

Void Main wrote:Wow, apparently I haven't been keeping up on the latest WRT happenings. How did I miss this little gem?!? I have 3 WRT54G and 1 WRT54GS boxes but a USB port would open up so many more possibilities! Has anyone booted Debian on one of these devices? I use OpenWRT on all my current WRTs. I wonder if it's possible to boot the device directly from USB or do you have to have your kernel and boot image on the internal flash? A thumbdrive with Debian installed would make a pretty cool little firewall box.
Yes it's possible to install the OS to the usb storage and people have. I havnt heard of anyone getting Debian on a WRT yet.
One of the great things is you can have a swap partition with reasonable perfomance.
Essentially having USB is like the SD card mod on steroids!
Void Main wrote:Why wouldn't they offer these things where you live?
Apparently they were on the Linksys UK list for a while but then mysteriously withdrawn. They're now just in the states.
I wonder if they are just gonna skip to the newer WRT350N (which will be the most insane OpenWRT ever, watch this space)
I could a WRTSL54GS from ebay for $145 (inc. shipping) which isn't so bad with the current strength of the pound. I can just see myself getting stung by customs though :-(
It's a great model when you consider that a WRT54GS would need the extra cost and soldering time of the SD mod to be anywhere near comparible.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Mon May 07, 2007 4:24 am

Onto technical things:

I'm not sure it will ever work well on a WRT's memory footprint, but here goes.

I got mysql to successfuly configure on my emulated MIPS. I'm wondering where to go from here:

A) Compile it on the same machine. This could take a long time, emulation is slow.

-or-

B) Transfer the Makefile to my native environment and hack it to work with the mips cross-compiler.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon May 07, 2007 8:33 am

Compiling under the emulator would probably be the easiest but using the the cross compiler would be the fastest. I might have to check that QEMU out. I've never used it.