Snort on Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router Help

Discuss Programming
Jim
user
user

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:43 pm

Void Main wrote:Did you happen to have a v1.1 router? They refer only to the v2 units. I'll still try it because I have nothing to lose but I am a little confused about which pins to cross. They say pin 15-16 near the LED end of the board. I don't see any pins labeled. Would it be possible to show me roughly the area in this picture?

http://seattlewireless.net/~mattw/photo ... _3425.html

What's odd is that picture is supposed to be a 1.1 board but mine is slightly different and it's a 1.1.

EDIT: There is a box next to the BCM4306 chip that has two rows of pins (1-34, and 35-68). I'm thinking I need to short 15 and 16 on this one. I don't see this box in the picture but the picture shows what looks like a riser board with the BCM4306 chip on it just about where mine would be but the riser board is covering where the rows of pins are on mine. Mine does not have that riser board, the chip is right on the main board. The 2 rows of pins would be below the chip (half way between the chip and the edge of the board). Think I'm on the right track?
That picture looks like my unit which is a 1.0. I shorted the pins that were not under the removable card. I think with the 1.1 units, the card is no longer removable.

To tell you the truth, I was not that careful about which pins I was shorting. I just sloppily dragged the screwdrive around during the power-on sequence. It took several tries, but I finally saw the pings succeeding!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:50 pm

Mine doesn't have the card. It looks like they put everything right on the main board on the 1.1 unit. So you shorted some pins that are actually on that riser board on yours huh? If so, I think I am on the right track. Once you power up with the pins shorted and you get a ping, how long of a window do you have to upload the firmware? Do you leave the pins shorted during the entire process?

Jim
user
user

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:01 pm

Void Main wrote:Mine doesn't have the card. It looks like they put everything right on the main board on the 1.1 unit. So you shorted some pins that are actually on that riser board on yours huh? If so, I think I am on the right track. Once you power up with the pins shorted and you get a ping, how long of a window do you have to upload the firmware? Do you leave the pins shorted during the entire process?
No, the flash chip was on the main board, but it was half-way under the riser borad. The pins I shorted were not underneath the riser board.

Once the pings started, I stopped the shorting. At this point you have all the time you need beause it waits forever for an upload.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:05 pm

Ahhhhh, *flash* chip. Duh! I have a chip that says "Intel Flash" on it and now I see the pins with the white lines every 5 pins like they were talking in the forum. Mine is half way between the front and back of the board between the LEDs and the left antenna. It actually is marked with pin numbers. I feel better now. I'll try and get this thing done! Or fried. :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:12 pm

Un-freakin-real!!! Jim, I don't know how to thank you. I got it on the first try. It went as smooth as a baby's bottom. I owe you one for sure!

Jim
user
user

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:16 pm

Void Main wrote:Un-freakin-real!!! Jim, I don't know how to thank you. I got it on the first try. It went as smooth as a baby's bottom. I owe you one for sure!
Cool! I'm glad it worked! I had the same reaction when mine worked. I could hardly believe it when I saw the pings because I had long ago given it up for dead.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:19 pm

Yeah, it was laying in my basement in a pile of other trashed out carcasses of equipment just waiting for a day like today. It's a sunny day! :) Now time to get hacking again. I had given up after I trashed that first box.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:11 am

Ok, I just made good use of it and turned it into another web server:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net:81/

The above is running on the wireless router. I have the index page, the redhat/fedora tips and any associated images being served off of it (anything on port 81). :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:19 pm

This inspired a new WRT54G tip on how to revive it:
http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net:81/redhat ... vival.html

If the above is down because I am playing you can also get it here:
http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/redhat/wr ... vival.html

Transformer
n00b
n00b

Post by Transformer » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:58 am

Hi Void Main, thanks for the nice tutorial on your website. I tried it too and it revived my wrt54g v2!! I am very thankfull, but there is one more problem...

I uploaded linksys's "wrt54g_2.02.7_US_code" firmware, and that went perfectly smooth. I can now finally ping to the router, but I can't get into the admin page of the router via http://192.168.1.1 through my browser.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:58 am

Sorry I have't had a chance to answer. Been on vacation for the last week. Not sure why you would not be able to get in via the web interface. Have you tried other firmware?

aktizol
n00b
n00b

Post by aktizol » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:56 pm

Today I had a crappy halfway firmware installation. So the WRT became unusable. By the way I had my boot-wait to ON but i don't know why it didn't work for me.

So i decided to follow your tutorial.

My version is 2.0 and the intel chip is in the middle of the case.

I tapped the pin 15-16 but nothing happened

I tapped 16-17-18 and so on and it started pinging. I tried to TFTP the firmware but nothing happened. So I restart. After the restart the power LED started blinking. (i don't remember if it was blinking before)

Now i even if i press the reset button the WRT don't reset. But it recognizes the cable you attach by turning on the proper led.

Is it dead?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:31 pm

It's hard to say without a little more clarification on the TFTP part. What do you mean by "nothing happened"? What are you using to do the tftp? Are you using binary and verbose mode? If the firmware doesn't upload then it surely will not work. I don't know if you asked your question over at the forums on openwrt.org or not but there is a lot of information there.

aktizol
n00b
n00b

Post by aktizol » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:44 am

The main problem now is that when I turn on the Linksys, the POWER LED is always blinking and the WLAN is OFF ?

Is it dead?

p.s for the TFTP i make use of the tftp2.exe and the last firmware i tried to upload was "wolf-alchemy-pre54aw33.bin"

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:01 am

aktizol wrote:The main problem now is that when I turn on the Linksys, the POWER LED is always blinking and the WLAN is OFF ?

Is it dead?
Again, I can't answer that without getting a better feeling for whether the firmware upload was successful or not. I still don't understand what you meant by "nothing happened". If you can not get a firmware successfully uploaded to the flash then it's not going to work.
p.s for the TFTP i make use of the tftp2.exe and the last firmware i tried to upload was "wolf-alchemy-pre54aw33.bin"
I don't know what "tftp2.exe" is, it surely looks like something that runs on Windows so I am afraid I can't help you there since I don't use Windows. I also have no idea what "wolf-achemy" is. I am familiar with OpenWRT firmware or the stock LinkSys firmware. Anything other than that you would have to talk to the firmware builder. Again, you would have better luck looking over the forums at openwrt.org as I am no expert on this, just a user and fan of OpenWRT firmware, Linux, and the GPL. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.