A job I am thinking of applying for

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Calum
guru
guru

A job I am thinking of applying for

Post by Calum » Wed May 26, 2004 4:41 pm

Subject : - Applicant details for Junior Unix Agent -
CV upload : If you have your CV in a Microsoft Word document, please upload it using the Upload CV button
really? I should have a good standard of solaris, unix or linux knowledge and they want me to send my CV in a microsoft word document?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed May 26, 2004 6:30 pm

That's the world we live in. Thankfully I *rarely* have to touch an M$ product where I work. I have two main desktops on my desk, this Linux laptop in a docking station with a nice big monitor doing 1600x1200 and a Sunray thin client with a nice big monitor with the same resolution (connecting to a Sun server). And of course I am 100% Linux at home. You have to excuse the HR departments, their usually stuck in that mode and don't really know any different. Better just to leave them be. :)

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 » Fri May 28, 2004 11:19 am

How come UNIX is still around? Why dont they switch to Linux? After Linux is the modern UNIX right?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri May 28, 2004 11:28 am

Well, if you want big iron machines then you are still going to run the OS that the big iron machine company has written to run on those systems. For Sun this is Solaris, for IBM this is AIX, for HP this is HP-UX, etc. Now, IBM is making good strides at running Linux on their Big Iron but they probably still sell a lot more running AIX (the application available for AIX may not have a Linux port). I do see a day when they are either running Linux on their big iron or they are out of business (Sun probably being the first to go under at the rate they are going).

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri May 28, 2004 11:49 am

well the advert asks for people who are familiar with either solaris or linux, so i am hoping my knowledge of linux will get me through(!) i think they are running both and hopefully will be prepared to train me in whatever i am not familiar with, given that i have a grounding in basic *ix concepts.

the job is also 600 miles away so it's kind of odd to be applying for it, but thereare reasons...

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Fri May 28, 2004 4:20 pm

The fact that you are in London is all the reason I can think of to apply for a job elsewhere. Having lived there I can speak from experience. Hey, furthest I have applied for a job is Antartica - did not get it but WTH, if you don't try you'll never win.

You could also add an addedum to the e-mail, stating that it is also available in a abiword, kwrite, openoffice formats.

It is funny though.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

a quick update, they asked me for an interview, it's solaris only, they support linux, although the customer (Sun) doesn't actually *use* linux. it's remote administration in a nice big air conditioned room in the country 15 minutes on the train from edinburgh. they gave me a 100 question test, showed me around, i thought it all went really well and then they took a couple of months to not even bother getting back to me, even though i emailed them back.

which kind of sucks.i did get offered a position as a technical installations engineer (which is what i am now) installing and configuring HP machines with windows 2000 on, but since i am quitting the exact same job now, i am thinking i want to decline it.

just in case you're interested.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:05 pm

So there is still the possibility of you getting the Solaris job? Nice to hear the updates. Good luck on getting the job you want!