Hackers Tune In to Windows Media Player

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Ice9
guru
guru

Hackers Tune In to Windows Media Player

Post by Ice9 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:17 pm

From OsNews
Hackers are using the newest DRM technology in Microsoft's Windows Media Player to install spyware, adware, dialers and computer viruses on unsuspecting PC users. Security researchers have detected the appearance of two new Trojans, Trj/WmvDownloader.A and Trj/WmvDownloader.B, in video files circulating on P2P (peer-to-peer) networks.
Hahahaha! Now all those fools who bought into the M$ DRM scheme are scr***d!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:25 pm

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:47 pm

That's awesome! LOL..

Maybe these dumb asses will drive users away from Windows and Microcrap all together. Maybe we will see a little tussle between the RIAA and Microsoft? I know if I was ole' billy boy I would be a little upset that the RIAA has supposed ties to these cultprits.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:44 pm

Are you kidding me? Billy boy loves this stuff and people who use Windows will put up with it just like they put up with all the other hassles of using Windows (viruses, spyware, adware, malware, crapware, etc). What's really funny to me is that instead of actually fixing their OS they have pretty much told the world that they are going to quit trying with their latest purchase of a leading anti-spyware company and a company that developed some sort of virus cleanup tool:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/07 ... i_spyware/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/11 ... n-up_tool/

They would rather continue to mop up the wet floor during a rainstorm than close the window to prevent the rain from coming in in the first place. The problem is that the window has been open for so long it has rusted in the open position. No problem, just buy the mop company. They'll figure out how to make another mint off of mops.

caveman
programmer
programmer

Post by caveman » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:55 pm

Wanted to add a snide comment - but got sidetracked into reading
all the latest "BOFH: Where the hell have you been?"

o yes....
You buy a car - expecting the latest and greatest - and end up with
an engine from circa 1980 and no tyres. Then you're forced to pay for the
installation of the tyres and a "newer upgraded" model engine from 1988.
Only then do you get informed the engine only runs on diesel II and can
only be bought from the manufacturer. The engine that runs on standard
fuel will be available next semester (if the manufacturer loses the court
case) but needs a higher and stronger chassis ( which of cource is extra).

You end up paying for a Rolls-Royce - but have to be happy with a car that
looks like it was assembled in someone's backyard. All the dealers in town
are only to willing to sell you extra trimmings, wheels etc. to make the car
look like a newer model. All this extra weight makes the car perform worse.
Now you can buy additives for the fuel to improve engine performance
(but mind it doesn't catch fire) and this voids the original agreement.

The original manufacturer in the mean time stopped development of new
models and keeps on tuning the older models. Seeing the gap they now
start selling gimmicks and additives to improve the original car while
all the time promising to (never) rectify the problems on the old models.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:11 am

Void Main wrote:Are you kidding me? Billy boy loves this stuff and people who use Windows will put up with it just like they put up with all the other hassles of using Windows (viruses, spyware, adware, malware, crapware, etc). What's really funny to me is that instead of actually fixing their OS they have pretty much told the world that they are going to quit trying with their latest purchase of a leading anti-spyware company and a company that developed some sort of virus cleanup tool:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/07 ... i_spyware/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/11 ... n-up_tool/

They would rather continue to mop up the wet floor during a rainstorm than close the window to prevent the rain from coming in in the first place. The problem is that the window has been open for so long it has rusted in the open position. No problem, just buy the mop company. They'll figure out how to make another mint off of mops.
there's not much left to add. i was going to say something similar, but i really think the above post covers it all.

how is it that many people do not realise these things i wonder?

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:50 pm

Calum wrote:how is it that many people do not realise these things i wonder?
The trouble is I think a question of "voice size". Microsoft is pretty loud and insistent about how secure their operating system is. The take pride in the fact that their patches come out more often than Mac system updates. And, they're the only one that advertises their products on TV. Those of us who know watch Windows and AOL commercials and go "Firefox blocks all that crap already, and I don't even have antivirus software". That's the thing, though, how many people are listening to me right now? I'm preaching to the choir, aren't I? Microsoft is the only one out there really spending millions of dollars trying to tell their side of the story. Even Apple, who could easily use their security/hardware/friendliness/compatibility pushes iPods instead of power (probably an MS Office contractual agreement).

I told my brother-in-laws to get Linux, but they both need Autocad. I told my parents to get a Mac, and tried to teach my dad some Linux, but they're a bit too old to switch - WinXP is too much for them! All I, or anyone else, can do is spread the word as much as we can, and be ready to help anyone who is considering making a change. Burn install dvds/cds for friends who don't have burners. Hang out on forums, answer questions, and report your problems/solutions. And of course, support open source whenever possible.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:11 am

worker201 wrote: Even Apple, who could easily use their security/hardware/friendliness/compatibility pushes iPods instead of power (probably an M$ Office contractual agreement).
not quite the answer i have on the card there, remember that apple have always preferred to sell hardware than software, because they quite rightly see that there's more inherent value in that.

unfortunately microsoft have pipped them to the software post as a result by successfully bundling cheap, and incidentally nasty, hardware with their software. as a result people know apple's hardware (and by extension their software) is better, but they still buy microsoft bundled PCs, because that's how it comes from the shop, and they can get between 2 or 3 of those machines for every 1 mac they can afford.

so, apple choose to push iPods because they are a hardware device, and are guaranteed to sell for x dollars per unit, whereas apple are still infuriatingly unwilling to directly compete with microsoft head on in the pure software arena, not because they have a cartel agreement of any sort but because they are of the firm belief that microsoft will win, based on their own experience, and that hardware is easier to sell since it's the one area microsoft do not have a serious foothold in.

what do you think?

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:15 pm

This is kinda getting away from Linux, but... Calum, I have to agree with you that Apple is playing it safe.

Too safe, really. I kinda think Apple could win. And if not win, then at least compete levelly, which would benefit the consumers greatly - better hardware and software at lower prices. I used to be a Windows guy, and hated Macs. Of course, my only experience with Macs was System 7. I was one hundred percent all about Windows until I started messing around with SFU. Then I realized that there was real power there, and installed Suse on my home laptop. I have loathed using Windows ever since. Every time I have to get on it at work, it reminds me why I don't use it at home anymore.

After doing some research, I decided to get an iBook, because OSX sounded cool. And cool just doesn't even describe it. I had never been in love with my computer before! I think that OSX has that kind of power - to corrupt the windows-loving hearts of the consumers. I bet even Void Main would be impressed with how Unixy OSX is, while still being 100% free of Unixishness if you prefer. The memory management alone is worth the extra money for the hardware - I have opened things in Illustrator and Flash that would crash the heaviest Pentium machines - with a G3! There's a security update every couple months, and software updates are sent automatically. No mucking about with spyware or pop-ups or anti-virus. None of it. I think that anyone who sat down for 10 minutes in front of a nicely equipped Mac running Panther would be hooked for life.

And before this gets binned, this is still about Linux and open source. Because even though OSX is not open source, it has BSD at its heart. The real power of OSX, the thing that truly sets it apart, is that you can open a terminal window and forget that you are even using a Mac. It's not like some molasses-slow broken emulator either - it's the real thing. I have compiled and used many open source programs, including PHP5, Apache2, and the latest MySQL, all with minimal difficulty. And the work on OSX, which is a bit different than Linux, has really opened me up to what really goes on behind the scenes. Running FC3 all day and OSX all night gives me really interesting insight into structure, configuration, and processes, which improves my abilities to use both OSs. So, the more I use Linux, the more I love OSX, and the more I use OSX, the more I love Linux. Apple has got to take that wonderful relationship and use it. They would be fools not to.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:31 am

worker201 wrote:This is kinda getting away from Linux, but... Calum, I have to agree with you that Apple is playing it safe.

Too safe, really. I kinda think Apple could win.
but they have no intention of doing so, because then they would be getting all the flak that they see microsoft getting (from users, from lawsuits etc) or so they think, i think
And if not win, then at least compete levelly, which would benefit the consumers greatly
again, why would apple want this? they currently still have the mindset of that famous quote from the late, great, douglas adams when he said that apple may only have 10% of the market, but it's clearly the best 10%, essentially they may have only 10% market share, but at least it represents a steady income for them. also, they know that their current existence allows microsoft to point to them in order to disclaim rumours that they are a monopoly, while if apple got any bigger, they know they'd come under serious fire in the business arena from microsoft, and they simply cannot compete with microsoft on that level, hence, they prefer to make a lot of money doing things microsoft would never directly do, like selling great quality hardware at a high price.
I bet even Void Main would be impressed with how Unixy OSX is, while still being 100% free of Unixishness if you prefer.
i have not used OSX much yet, but from when i have used it it has been indistinguishable from a linux, or a *ix at least. the GUI is the only distinguishable difference to me so far, in that it is superior than anything i have really seen in a linux distro yet.
And before this gets binned, this is still about Linux and open source. Because even though OSX is not open source, it has BSD at its heart.
we already had that one, and void main told us that *BSD doesn't cut the mustard in this linux only forum, so forget it, however i agree this is 100% about linux because anything relating to microsoft and apple's general tactics is directly affecting the uptake of linux by new users, whether we like it or not.
Apple has got to take that wonderful relationship and use it. They would be fools not to.
yes, they would. unfortunately apple has a huge history of acting like fools, and i think they will squander this opportunity in the name of playing it safe.