google bad

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
worker201
guru
guru

google bad

Post by worker201 » Thu May 05, 2005 4:59 pm

I was doing a search on google to find out how to install a new hard drive for Linux. Unfortunately, this was the first hit:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;314458
:shock:
Why someone would want to do that, I cannot imagine.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Fri May 06, 2005 12:29 am

this is bad :(

Maniaman
scripter
scripter

Post by Maniaman » Sat May 07, 2005 3:32 pm

<insert screaming here> :shock:

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda » Mon May 30, 2005 4:44 pm

Did you notice how they send you to the Linux documentation for the really important stuff?
NOTE: Windows XP and Linux can coexist on the same computer. For additional information, refer to your Linux documentation.
Not to mention that step 1 of the instructions is on using your "Linux Setup floppy disk",
The Linux operating system is generally installed on partition type 83 (Linux native) or 82 (Linux swap). The Linux boot manager (LILO) can be configured to start from either of the following locations:
What idiot wrote this??? THE Linux boot manager??? What the hell!
d. Type w, and then press ENTER to write this information to the partition table. Some error messages may be generated (because information is written to the partition table), but they should not be significant at this point because the next step is to restart the computer and then install the new operating system.
Some errors may occur. Get used to it, you are now a Windows user, right?
f. Insert either a bootable floppy disk or the bootable Windows XP CD-ROM, and then press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart your computer.
Will this work in the Linux environment? Not that I know of...
Microsoft does not support the installation of Windows XP on partitions manipulated in this manner.
Of course...

ET CETERA...

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Tue May 31, 2005 12:28 am

Jenda wrote:
Micro$oft does not support the installation of Windows XP on partitions manipulated in this manner.
Of course...
Hell, they barely support OEM installations!

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:26 am

They support OEM Installations?

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:03 am

I don't support OEM installations.

BTW, a few years ago (4) I bought this computer from a then-starting local company called Mironet.
They sold me a very reasonable PC for a very reasonable price, with a "full OEM software package". This, surprisingly comprised of a blank PC and a CD, saying (translated):
Mironet Linux - Complete Software Package
Windows Apps: Ekonom (Economist), 602 Office PCSuite 2001, E-Safe, The GIMP, Hot Dog Proffessional 6.2, ICQ 2000 Beta, Explorer 5.5CZ (wth? I'm guessing they mean IE), Juridix
Linux Apps: Star Office 5.2, The GIMP, Midnight Commander and many more...

At that time I didn't realise the true value of their service. My cousin took the computer to a friend and he installed a, no doubt pirated, version of Win98. The OEM Package lay untouched till last week when I found it again.
FYI, I removed that PITA win98 just a few weeks ago. It has been running as dual boot for about a year, but I wasn't here.
(I love it when it rhymes. I was in Canada, now back in the Czech Republic)