Linux Convert Log

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Jenda
programmer
programmer

Linux Convert Log

Post by Jenda » Tue May 24, 2005 3:12 pm

I though it would be a nice idea to start a log in which every one of us could boast a new successfuly converted Linux user.

To start, I have successfully persuaded two people here in Canada (I come from the Czech Republic) to switch to Linux, both are now running dual-boot with Windows, and both are slowly resolving their remaining Redmond-dependencies.

I'm still working on a few more, both here and back home.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue May 24, 2005 5:25 pm

I don't know how many people I have "fully" converted but I know a lot of people who I have introduced to Linux and they at least make major use of it. Of course when I started using Linux Windows 3.0 was barely rolling. In fact I used DesqView prior to Windows 3.0 coming out and it took me a while to switch to Windows. I never really did like it but luckily Linux came about not too much later and saved me.

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda » Wed May 25, 2005 1:23 pm

Lucky you! I was a slave until about a year ago!

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Wed May 25, 2005 3:38 pm

I've been a Linux user since the back end of '98. Not old school, not a newbie :)

I converted myself although I spent lots of time in Windows until about 2002.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Wed May 25, 2005 4:09 pm

Although my first experience with Linux was with RedHat6, (replaced Win98 on my first laptop for almost 2 days before I got frustrated with networking and the weirdness of early KDE), I actually became more interested in pursuing the idea a couple years ago. I messed around with Suse8 and Slackware9 at home for fun, and it was kinda liberating. Then my job required me to use some open source programs. At first I thought *nix emulator would be the way to go, but the ones I tried were so hopelessly not good enough that I bit the bullet and installed FC1. I've booted back into Windows only for vector editing since then, and I don't miss it a bit.

I wish I could say that I am responsible for a conversion, but I don't think I am. However, my articles at forums and replies to people asking for help have probably improved a few people's experiences enough to get them to stick around for awhile, and that's as good as anyone can really expect.