registration

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
worker201
guru
guru

registration

Post by worker201 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:07 am

I have noticed a bunch of people lately that pride themselves on being "registered Linux users". They have little blurbs in their signature files that tell what number they are, and it is a pretty huge number. What is this all about? Should I register? What do you get for registering? Where do you register?

Or is this just smoke and vapor?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:58 am

I remember when they first started it. I'm not sure if this is the original or not:

http://counter.li.org/

I guess because I remember when it first started I could have had a single digit registration number if I had registered. I thought it was stupid when it came out (still do) so I didn't register. It's just a way to try and get an idea of how many Linux users there are out there. I prefer that number not be known. I prefer the "sneak attack". :)

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:47 pm

LOL, that's what I thought.
What would be nice, tho, is a place where you can register as a Windows hater. I'd like to see the look on Gates' face every morning as he saw the numbers rise.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:18 pm

worker201 wrote: I'd like to see the look on Gates' face every morning as he saw the numbers rise.
The thing is, he doesn't care. He's got like 50 billion dollars.

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:51 pm

worker201 wrote:...What would be nice, tho, is a place where you can register as a Windows hater....
I used to be like that. Even visited a certain site because I hated Windows. However I discovered Linux. Now I can't hate Windows. It's like hating Barney the purple dinosaur, one does but then one realises that those who love Barney are children not adults living in the real world where things have to work.

I registered a few years ago, however my number is far higher than the current number of registered users, so obviously no-one is really using the counter these days. I think it served a purpose, but I'm not sure why it is still going.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:03 pm

Linux Frank wrote:
worker201 wrote:...What would be nice, tho, is a place where you can register as a Windows hater....
I used to be like that. Even visited a certain site because I hated Windows. However I discovered Linux. Now I can't hate Windows. It's like hating Barney the purple dinosaur, one does but then one realises that those who love Barney are children not adults living in the real world where things have to work.
I feel like I have a responsibility to help these poor souls. Many of them are simply uneducated about their alternatives, and not advanced enough to figure out a complex animal like Linux. There's no harm in talking about Windows memory management nightmares, and how I found a permanent solution. Anybody who wants or needs help deserves it.

But when I say I hate Windows, I mean that I feel as if I need to wash my hands after using it. Now that I have seen the light, Windows is like a disease, and I don't want to get any on me.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:08 am

After installing Ubuntu Linux (worst mistake I ever made) I hope Linux never hits the mainstream. Really, supporting idiots just makes stupid software that has a million problems. I wish there was a clause in the GPL that allowed Torvalds to ban incompitent idiots from distrubuting the Kernel.

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:35 am

So far I am happy with Ubuntu :/

Anyways. I remember when I first switched from Windows to Linux, I was all flsutered with my new found freedom, and did register as a "Linux User". I just got an email from them to renew my account, but I don't think I will do it.

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:10 am

[quote=worker201]But when I say I hate Windows, I mean that I feel as if I need to wash my hands after using it. Now that I have seen the light, Windows is like a disease, and I don't want to get any on me.[/quote]
My words precisely. I feel like I must've said them a few times already.

X11, It seems as if you just copied your posts from microsuck.com. Ubuntu works fine for me.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:40 am

Yeah, its not to bad if you don't mind compiling half of the fscking packages by hand because the versions in apt are unstable and or out of date. Its fscking insane, I hope Torvalds sends them a cease and desist for using the Linux trademark.