The Dvorak Keyboard: The Right Way To Go

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.

Which keyboard layout do you use most often?

Dvorak
8%
Qwerty
77%
Qwertz
No votes
Other
15%

Total votes: 13

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

i wonder though
to fully utilize the keyboard, do you have to have learned how to type correctly? I normally use only 6 fingers when typing, so do i really need this new layout, or won't it matter?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I would say it wouldn't matter, however, why not take the opportunity to also learn how to use those other fingers (assuming there are no physical reasons preventing that)?

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality »

I switched to the dvorak keymap for several month lastyear. I kept my laptop (which i used pretty much only at school) as QWERTY because i didnt want to switch the keys on my then new laptop.

i found that a lot of the time i was hitting keys on the home row, which i suppose is more convenient for some, but my error rate was probably about the same as it is on qwerty even after a few months of practice.

The weirdest thing was switching between the two, I would find myslf tring to type in dvorak at school and wondering why i spelled things like ghkj. After a minute the switch was fine though, i would guess its a lot like switching languages when your talking.

After a few months of practice I found that there was no real advantage over QWERTY (not that it is any worse) . So i switched back (which relieved some of the other people who occasionally use my desktop computer).

I just recently bought a wireless keyboard, and im thinking maybe i will make it Dvorak and hookup a wired keyboard that will be QWERTY and have some hotkey do the layout switch when i change.

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda »

Yay, Void. That's great, I hope you like it.

Master of Reality: This is how I really felt the advantage of Dvorak: I learned typing it, and used it exclusively for about a year. The change was gradual, so I only 'assumed' the added advantage. However, when I started university this year, I had to start typing Czech notes in class. Czech uses letters very differently than english, and has some on the fourth (number) row. In effect, typing on the dvorak keyboard is comparably random to typing on the qwerty in english. After a year of typing which I didn't have to think about (comfortable, so you don't notice) - I suddenly started feeling wrist-aches and typing in Czech was tiring.

I am now working on a Czech dvorak keyboard. It's not going too well, because Czech has too many letters :/ (ěšÄ

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I need a language that only uses around 8 or 10 letters, especially since I'm getting older and my brain is starting to go.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

Here ya go!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotokas_alphabet
Wikipedia wrote:Rotokas alphabet
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Rotokas alphabet used in writing the Rotokas language is a subset of the Latin alphabet consisting of only the twelve letters: A E I G K O P R S T U V, and is the smallest alphabet in use today. The majority of the Rotokas people are literate in their language.

See Pahlavi for a similarly small alphabet of the first millennium
Aparently, the smallest alphabet is the one from the Solomon Islands. However, since they use a latin alphabet now, it's pretty much out of use and defunct.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

A cool dozen. That one is for me!

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda »

My experience with keyboard design says that language is well suited for use in the computer age.

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda »

How's it going, Void?

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda »

BUMP

Did you keep it up, or did you give it up? ツ

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I'm a whimp and didn't keep up with the practice. I really thought I was going to make it this time too. :)

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda »

Aww ツ

Another poor soul trapped in the hells of OWERTY...

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

maybe you need a support group to help the transition...I'm sure there's a QWERTY anonymous somewhere...

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

me: "Hello everyone, my name is worker201, and I'm a qwerty user."

audience: "Hello, worker201!"

me: "I guess it all started back when I was in third grade. My mom had this typewriter. It seemed strange that the keys were all out of order, but I was assured that this was 'normal'. Every US keyboard I have seen since then has been the same way. I don't know what to do, I can't help myself. I'm so ashamed."

sponsor: "Keep coming back. Fake it till you make it. The first step is admitting that you have a problem. Look to your higher power. One day at a time."

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

LMAO! Nice intimate knowledge of the 12 step programs meeting structure.