Popularity causes weak programs?

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Popularity causes weak programs?

Post by bazoukas » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:32 am

http://www.theregister.com/2005/09/22/m ... ing_pains/

Ok first of all as we all know, MS they roll out their patches with out saying what the flaws were. They also roll out their patches once every month so it will look as if there are not alot of things that need fixing.

Having said that though, do you guys think that popularity is detrimental to security? When Linux becomes mainstream, do you think we will have the plethora of problems that windows users have?
Granted that MS applications cannot hold under heavy work load and that Open source programs can take a lot of heavy load, that is seperate from security. In other words, stability does not mean security by default.

Yes I do understand that most web servers run on Apache and that if popularity is detrimental to security, Apache servers would have twice the downtime that MS servers have.

I am talking about the desktop arena though where most viruses have in their crosshairs locked on Besides the fact that Linux has a very tight permission scheme, and not to mention that each distro is not an exact copy cat of other distros. do you guys think that with more people using Linux, Linux will eventually have a huge increase (and succesfull) security breache problem?

Well I should also add not all distros use the same exact kernel which adds to the complexity thus making a virus much more difficult to spread.

Ok, I kinda answered my own question here but seriously though, do you see it happening, if not with the kernel it self, with applications like browsers and so forth.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:34 am

Short answer of whether Linux would have the same problems with viruses as Microsoft is "no". However, if there is only only one distro that is used on the majority of desktops, and if that distro is distributed where all security is removed because the distributors don't have a clue how to make it user friendly without doing so (think Lindows or whatever it's called now) and if that distro isn't kept up to date (because that distro is hard to upgrade or they have to pay for the service) then it's possible that it could be an even bigger problem than Windows. The reason it could be a bigger problem is because Linux is just more powerful than Windows and in the hands of the enemy that could be very dangerous. I don't think that disasterous scenerio will play out though.

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:01 am

Couldn't agree more, Void Main. Can't help the smile spreading over my face at the thought of a fifty-fifty user share MS vs. GNU/Linux et al.. Imagine that MS will actually have a reason to improve! If it won't, fifty-fifty will quickly tip over to the Linux side.
I just installed win2k because my ISP wouldn't help me set it up from GNU/Linux (later found out this was unnecessary, all I needed was typing my modem's IP in Firefox - I made a typo the first time and that's why it didn't work) - and that is such an incredible pain in the ass. No sound, 16 colors, low-res. etc. ... Jeezuz.
(I managed to fix the graphics, but since I have no clue what soundcard I have nor where to find such a clue - it's Windows muted) Within the few seconds I was on the net in dialup before I configured ADSL my box was invaded and popup messages kept telling me to download something from various websites.