DVD Burner Suggestions

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

DVD Burner Suggestions

Post by Void Main »

My DVD burner seems to have turned into a coaster making machine. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good Linux compatible burner that doesn't make a lot of coasters?

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

NEC all the way.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

What model do you suggest? How about this one for $41?
NEC ND3540A / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DVD-RW / 8x DVD+R DL / 6x DVD-R DL / 48x32x48x CD-RW / Black / Dual Layer / OEM DVD Burner with Nero Software
I also noticed some external USB drives which actually would be cool since I do a lot of work from laptops. I would imagine they could be a trick to make work in Linux though, or not?

What media do you suggest? I guess I should look it up on the DVD media site. Amazon lists a 50 pack of Memorex 4.7GB 8x DVD+R for $19. Thanks for the tips Tux!
Last edited by Void Main on Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

I'm out of touch with current hardware, but the ND-1xxx and ND-2xxx range have served my well, so I can't see why the 3xxx should be any different (touch wood).

As for media, Datwrite Classic (Yellow's) have been good for me in both +R and -R guises, but there are other choices to be found on sites like videohelp especially since you may not have this media in the states.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Well, I just ordered one. I did a little research and it seems to be getting a lot of good reviews. I ordered a 100 pack of DVD+R 16x blanks as well. Thanks!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Wow, that drive came in fast. I got home after work and it's sitting in the living room in a box! I swapped the old DVD drive out (which actually isn't very old) with the new NEC, fired up k3b, and burned 2 DVDs at the full speed of the discs I had (8x). The 100 16x discs I ordered aren't here yet but I am extremely pleased! That old drive never did work right. Thanks for the suggestion Tux!!

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 »

Hmmm, this reminded me I should replace my CD burner with a DVD burner one of these days.
I'll keep NEC in mind thank you :)

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

Hopefully your new disks will be "compatible" with the new drive...

As awful as the situation with drives and media is, I wouldn't want things really all that different - if there was a standard, one company would try to control it.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I got the disks last night and did burn a couple of them. I am not sure if the burns were all that great though. Didn't have a lot of time...

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

Void Main wrote:What model do you suggest? How about this one for $41?
NEC ND3540A / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DVD-RW / 8x DVD+R DL / 6x DVD-R DL / 48x32x48x CD-RW / Black / Dual Layer / OEM DVD Burner with Nero Software
I also noticed some external USB drives which actually would be cool since I do a lot of work from laptops. I would imagine they could be a trick to make work in Linux though, or not?

What media do you suggest? I guess I should look it up on the DVD media site. Amazon lists a 50 pack of Memorex 4.7GB 8x DVD+R for $19. Thanks for the tips Tux!
Most generic USB drives work perfectly well in Linux from my experience.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

As far as ive seen sofar, i have no problems with the NEC ND3540 in FC4.
(knock on wood :P)