Ubuntu makes it easy for everyone to get linux!!!

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Ubuntu makes it easy for everyone to get linux!!!

Post by JoeDude » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:03 am

Ok, so I've been strolling through a million linux forums and articles. The number of people who have suddenly started using Ubuntu seems to have grown massively, so I thought to myself, why not check it out. I looked for a live CD/DVD...no real luck. All the ones I foundwere 3rd party made ones...dunno if I wanna try that. So, I go back to Ubuntu's website and register (how easy was that!), and request a copy of Ubuntu 6.06 5 CD set (I couldn't find the DVD version request...or a Live DVD request. If they are willing to send me the whole thing for free...yes that's right, free! Absolutely no expense to me. I am so happy with the way that went. It took mear seconds to register and in under a minute, my request for the set was in and I am now just waiting for them to be posted to me.

I am very pleased with that...

Just wanted to express that, had to share...GROUP HUG!!!!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:17 am

Yeah, that's a great deal they have going. I did try Ubuntu out at one time and thought it was a very nice distro.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:04 pm

they were supposed to take your details and send out updates whenever a new version came out, weren't they? i did think it was too good to be true, and i have to say i haven't had a new CD from them for a while, though they did send me two consecutive distros.

i stopped using them because gnome was not working properly on my video card (never has), however the gnome in FC4 appears to be good enough that it rarely messes up at all, so perhaps now gnome's issues are fixed i can try ubuntu again. i like the idea of using a debian, but will wait till i have some serious issues with FC4 to switch. the folks at http://support-freesoftware.org all told me to change from fedora to ubuntu though, perhaps they know somthing i don't!

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:34 pm

There was a block to check about recieveing updates through snail mail. I checked it. But you had to read the whole thing to catch that.

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:28 pm

I don't think Ubuntu does that anymore, you have to order each release.
Concerning the CDs/DVDs: the "Desktop CD" is an attempt at joining a Live CD with a graphical installer. THe downloadable DVDs join that with the good old debian installer, still present in the "Alternate CD".

BTW, hello y'all, I popped back in after some time. I've been very involved with Ubuntu (new email addy as a reward: jenda@ubuntu.com ツ)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:56 pm

Very cool! What are you doing with the Ubuntu people if you don't mind me asking?

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:26 am

I've been working on the Marketing Team, Void. You could say I de-facto lead it.

My baby is Spreadubuntu: https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-mar ... readubuntu

The main purpose is to organise and offer DIY material to local initiatives and random individuals. Material + guides, too. As in - tips on what you could do in your 'hood: go to the local HW vendor and give them a stack of CDs and a poster to start with, Ubuntu Days, Street Stands, etc.
The project is rather young.

I also work on the local Czech team (ubuntu.cz) and translate for them a bit. I govern the IRC channels for this and the above: (#ubuntu-cz and #ubuntu-marketing on freenode)
I gave a speach about Ubuntu at the university ツ

I help out with the New User Network... we'll soon have classes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Classroom

I also helped a bit on the EasyUbuntu project - it's a script that installs all the proprietary crap Ubuntu can't have by default that people want: mp3 and DVD support, nVidia and ATI drivers etc.

I guess that sums it up :)

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:36 am

DUDE, U ROK

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:42 am

I'm gonna have to strongly agree with JoeDude on this. :) Good work Jenda!

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:48 pm

Haha, thanks for the support guys :) Very, very welcome in this business (the business of spending all your time on the PC for an occassional u rok ツ).

I meant to link here instead, sorry: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/SpreadUbuntu

If you do webdesign, a mockup of the SU website would be very welcome :)