Site down due to power being out from storms

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Site down due to power being out from storms

Post by Void Main » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:36 am

Sorry folks. The site was down all weekend because a storm rolled through on Friday and turned my block into a war zone. To my surprise we got our power back on Saturday night and it appears that I must have got my cable back sometime last night or this morning so voidmain.is-a-geek.net is back on line. There was a power pole in the back yard knocked over and is currently tied up with a rope so I assume the power will go back out for a while when they get a chance to replace the pole.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:21 pm

glad you're back, i thought this site was down for good since it seems that alot of sites are getting hacked lately :(

linuxiso.org has been down for some time now, and i have no idea what happened to it, do you?

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:53 pm

The power outage in LA may have had something to do with that :P

WB I was having Void withdrawals...is that possible...it doesn't sound right....

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:55 pm

A lot of sites are getting hacked? Any I would recognize? I don't know what happened to linuxiso.org but it certainly looks down. I can't seem to find any info on it on a quick google search. I wouldn't attribute it to an intrusion just because it's down.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:10 pm

JoeDude wrote:The power outage in LA may have had something to do with that
Is LinuxISO out of the LA area? I'm in the St Louis area and we got pounded pretty hard by storms twice in 3 days. There were close to 600,000 customers without power in the area and there are still over 216,000 without power right now:

http://www.ameren.com/Outage/ADC_RS_StormCenter.asp

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:20 pm

I was wondering why I couldn't get on last night! Hope all is well in Void's world... I'd offer to share our electic but here in NorCal they are all over the TV scraming about turning off everything...

Go "POWER NOW!"

:twisted:

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:19 am

Hi All!

It's been a heck of a summer weather wise. About three weeks ago I had a lightning strike close enough to my house, probably about 100' or so, fry my phone lines and my modems, both cable and regular. We could see where it struck, the steam was rising from the ground and all the grass got cooked and was brown a few days later.

We also flooded due to exceptionally heavy rains two weeks ago. I've lived in this house since 1976, and that was the first time I ever had water in the house. It wiped my furnace, water heater, dehumidifier and etc. as well as a lot of power tools. There was a gully about 2 1/2' wide and 18" deep where my driveway was because the culvert plugged and there was so much water flowing over it that it just washed the asphalt driveway out.

I just hope we don't have another hurricane season like last year's.

Jim

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:34 pm

Wow, that sucks! One of my cars got a little smashed up by a large branch out of the neighbor's tree. Broke the back window out and dented up the trunk and roof. No biggy though, insurance covers that.

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:32 pm

VoidMain,

Actually, I was pretty lucky. It could have been a lot worse. I live in farm country and have a lot of good friends and my kids came out to the house to help. I was able to salvage a lot; things like my good MS250 Stihl chain saw, my 5 Kw generator, snow blower and wood chipper took on a lot of water, but I was able to flush them out, drain and dry them and get them up and running with only minor parts like air filters and oil changes and etc. I was able to fix the furnace by replacing the blower motor and the computer control card. The water heater only needed new pilot and burner assemblies. I was lucky to have the skills to fix things myself and to have good friends and great kids willing to help me out. Oh, yeah, and enough beer around to keep me going :-)

The lightning storm was actually kind of funny. It was on the July 4th weekend I was at a buddy's farm about three or four miles from home with my son, his girlfriend, and one of my friends. We were doing some target shooting and saw and heard the storm north of us. We never had a drop of rain hit us. By time I got home, the village looked like a disaster area. Trees and branches down, no power, and worst of all, my wife and my friend's wife were less than proud of us thinking that we knew what was happening and just ignored the situation. I didn't lose any trees, just some branches and stuff, but my friend had a 2' diameter maple come down. It blocked his driveway, but missed both his house and a car that was still in the driveway. All I lost were some modems and a phone line. But again I was lucky! I had more than enough beer on ice to get us through until the power came back on. We cleaned up the tree that fell at his place the next day and eventually even our wives calmed down :-)

It sounds like you had it a lot worse than I did.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:42 pm

Ahhh, a few beers can help any situation! Sounds like a good time at your buddies house! :)

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:24 am

Void....Y didn't you tell me you were in the St Louis area while I was stationed at Ft Leonard Wood???

We could had some suds, gone to Blues, Rams and Cards Games...

That's just wrong man!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:31 am

That's true. I guess I didn't realize Ft Leanard Wood was that close to STL. Yeah, we're huge Cardinals fans!

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:51 am

hehe...no worries mate (learnin the lingo here!)

Next I visit Mizzou...I expect to meet up, drink beer and goto various games :P

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:29 pm

Turns out they are now saying there were 2 tornadoes that came through my part of town. Like I said, my block and about a mile south of me got the worst of it. I think we were directly in the path of one of them. Luckily they were weak enough only to take off the tops of all the trees and knock some power lines down. No houses in my neighborhood actually came apart (although several had limb damage). My wife and I were at work and just the kids were home. It could have been MUCH worse. Here's my daughter's car:

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:55 am

that's the first time we've ever got closer than "the american midwest" for your location void main! armed with this information, the fact that you are roughly in your forties and that blurred picture of your hands playing the bass ten years ago, i might be able to track you down yet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hope there's nothing worse than property damage to you and yours at least. those photos remind me of our visit to melbourne two januarys ago (the middle of summer). we left sydney in a 40 degree heat (metric), flat calm, an hour and a half later landed in melbourne, pouring with sleet, temperatures 9 degrees, winds 50mph. on that day they had the coldest temperature ever recorded, the fastest winds ever recorded and the highest rainfall ever recorded too! we only stayed two days, but it was just brightening up about an hour before we left... to go back to sydney where it had been between 35 and 40 degrees the whole time. virtually all the trees i saw in melbourne that time were down. on cars, across roads, it was mental. by the sounds of it though, you are used to it in your area, so hopefully there wasn't too much damage.