Are Calum and Linus related?

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are Calum and Linus related?

Post by Void Main »

Linus and Calum are a lot alike when it comes to free speech. Linus thinks he should be able to use foul language as well. PJ pulled out the censor stick and gave Linus the smack down:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/forums/vi ... php?t=1839

:)

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

He's in good company then...

Apparently Kierra Knightly enjoys a good potty mouth now and then as well.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

i don't think there'a anything admirable in swearing, i just think that generally speaking, it shouldn't be an issues, since there are better things to be concerned with in the world!

of course you know this doesn't mean i will be trying to swear publicly to highlight the issue, i just don't take offence at swearing per se, and i think it helps other people if they take this attitude also!

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

I think swearing is a great way to illustrate a point. However, I do find it tedious when someone insists on doing it every other word.

It's also great when yelling at privates...

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

i actually am not sure i agree. i don't consider swearing to come under the heading of "free speech", the same as void main, however i just don't see the point of making a big deal of it, doing that simply gives it power, and that's what all the anti-swearers are doing. don't give swearing the satisfaction of a response, and it will stop bothering you (is my advice to people who are offended by swearing).

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

I was listening to a radio program a while back about cursing, and a reporter cited studies which showed children around the age of 4 were already completely fluent in four letter words. Although they didn't know the literal meanings of the words, they used them contextually with no problem whatsoever. They were even familiar with non-standard constructions, such as using each word as a noun, verb, and adjective.

IF the point of not swearing is to protect young children, we might as well just give up right now, cuz it aint working.

Just for kicks, you ought to look up the etymology of the Fword sometime. It's very interesting. Possibly a Viking construction!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

worker201 wrote:I was listening to a radio program a while back about cursing, and a reporter cited studies which showed children around the age of 4 were already completely fluent in four letter words. Although they didn't know the literal meanings of the words, they used them contextually with no problem whatsoever. They were even familiar with non-standard constructions, such as using each word as a noun, verb, and adjective.

IF the point of not swearing is to protect young children, we might as well just give up right now, cuz it aint working.

Just for kicks, you ought to look up the etymology of the Fword sometime. It's very interesting. Possibly a Viking construction!
I would have to disagree with that study. Yes I can understand that a certain group of 4 year olds may be fluent in 4 letter words but I can assure you that this is not the case for all 4 year olds (I had two that would have failed the study). I also do not believe that just because "most" are familiar with the terms and know how to use them that we should just give up and not care. Although possibly "most" of society might not care, there certainly is a segment of society who does care, and those people are more than welcome here, and they can expect to not have to deal with it here.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

What's really interesting is that the parents of the children in the study said the same thing you did - they were all ignorant of their children's proficiency with cursing. It was purely playground behavior, and none of the children involved used the words anywhere else.

And of course, this is not a playground! :wink:
Void Main's rules stand.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

My kids were extremely sheltered. In fact they would claim that they still are and my daughter is about ready to start her first year of college. :) Unlike most of the kids I see around my neighborhood today my kids never left the sight of either myself or my wife until they were in school (they were not in school yet at age 4). They never spent a single day in a daycare or with a babysitter their entire childhood. That's just the way we chose to raise our kids. I would like to believe that is part of the reason that they have been non-delinquent up to this point in their lives.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a non-swearer. When I'm out in the woods riding dirt bikes with my buddies we can cuss up a pretty good storm. I just believe there are times and places where it's ok and times and places where it isn't. I don't believe public places are a time and place for it and this is a public place. Also, during much of my 15 year military career I may have been known to use the F word over frequently. So much so I would say it and not even realize I was saying it. It was as much part of my speech as the word "a". I remember the first time I came home and was talking to my mother there was a point where her eyes got wide in shock and I knew I must have said something but I didn't know exactly what. My sister said I learned a new word while I was away. :) Speaking of that, I know when I was 4 I would have failed the study so that would be at least 3 people.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

by the sounds of it, you've raised your kids well, but i can't really advocate a big brother attitude towards child rearing in general because i think that in general it can easily end in a miserable life for the child (as an adult) and possible instability of personality leading to rebelion or other antisocial behaviour. This is of course incredibly complicated and i am in no way suggesting anything about your specific family void main, given the small amount of information available here, and the fact that i have no psychological qualifications.

it's pretty obvious actually that i will think this way given my pro choice, pro freedom attitude, although i really know nothing about how people's personalities are formed as children, and i think anybody who has raised kids, and cared about them, will know infinitely more about that than me.