Void you ok?

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
moto526
scripter
scripter

Void you ok?

Post by moto526 »

Hey I head about your crash on SX.com...

Hope all is well in Void land...

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

Didn't know anything about it. Void should bring his broken busted up bones here and tell us when things like this happen!

No, really...you should...

No, really, I hope your all right dude.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Don't worry, I'll let you know when I bust myself up because I'm a cry baby. :) I just got back from Colorado and didn't have access to the Internet or even Cell phone for over a week. Yep, on our way back to the cabin at the end of our 2nd day of our trip we were racing down a mountain from Tincup pass to the little ghost town of St Elmo, Co. It was starting to get a little dark and I was going waaaay too fast for how well I could see the trail but I wanted to beat all my buddies down the mountain. I was doing around 40mph and dodging small boulders the best I could. Every so often I would tag one pretty good and kick the bike out of shape a little but I was feeling extremely confident.

Well, about 100yds or so from coming out of the trail and into the town a big boulder jumped out and bit me (I just didn't see it). It kicked the back end of my motorcycle up in the air and spun me around counter clockwise almost 180 degrees. I was flying through the air looking backwards down the trail. I knew what was about to come was going to be VERY painful (if I was lucky). Sure enough my right foot came down first and even with the heavy riding boot I knew something snapped. Then the rest of my body hit and I tumbled.

Luckily I had all my gear on (chest protector, knee pads, helmet, boots, etc). Well, the first thing I realized as I am lying face down on the trail is that amazingly enough I was still alive. The second thing I realized is that my right leg was in extreme pain. I let out a couple of low key screams just because it seemed to help a little. About this time the rest of the pack caught up with me. I dragged my leg around from the position it was in and the pain started to lessen but I knew something was broke. I don't even remember my head hitting the ground but my helmet had some serious rock gouges in it and my brand new wind breaker was shredded.

After a couple of minutes of collecting myself I had my buddies pick up my bike that was laying about 50ft up the hill and it appeared that there wasn't any significant damage to it so I had them start the bike for me and I got on and rode it the rest of the way to the cabin (about 5 more miles). I just held my right leg out trying to not let it touch the ground or the foot peg. The ride back wasn't all that bad actually.

We pulled the boot off when we got back to the cabin and my ankle was swelled up pretty good. I hopped upstairs and took a shower and had my bud take me down the mountain to the closest hospital about 45 minutes away. They did X-rays and sure enough my fibula was broken in a couple of places right down at the ankle and I also snapped a tendon. The next day they did surgery to sew the tendon back together and put in a stainless steel plate and 7 screws onto my ankle.

So, I watched a lot of movies and drank a lot of beer at the cabin for the rest of my stay. :) I thought I also broke a rib but they X-rayed it and there is no break. I must have pulled a muscle under it because it hurts worse than anything else right now. All in all I dinged up my right index finger, right elbow, right rib, right knee, and broke my right ankle. Not a bad days work! The sad part is that means I'm not going to be able to run in the Chicago marathon this fall that I've been training for. I also won't be able to ride my bicycle or work out. :(

I see the forum server stayed up while I was away. I was worried there might be a power outage or something that would have knocked it down...

One of my buds decided to reenact what I looked like at the scene the following day:

Last edited by Void Main on Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

Start training in a racing wheel chair!

Dude, that's awesome! Glad you didn't get seriously hurt. Moto X is a lot like bull riding, it's not if you get hurt...it's when and how bad.

I know what it's like to banged up like that. One of my knee surgeries put me out for about 6 weeks. That was with 3 tendon repairs (both maniscus and the PCL) a patella scraping and a bit of reconstruction. So I feel for ya dude. you'll find things to help you keep fit though, a lot of them will hurt. Oh, and physical therapists are mascicists...they will hurt you, on purpose.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

That pain in the ribs is awful. I crashed my snowboard once, and landed chest first on a stump. My mom's friend, who is an RN, called it a "bruised rib", and unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it. Just let it heal itself.

Glad you lived!

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

crap that gotta hurt
you better take more care of yourself, do as i do...
dont do sports :P

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 »

Glad to hear your ok!

I haven't been on the bike in a few weeks and I am dying! Hope to ride soon.

Nice photo dude... :twisted:

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

Basher52 wrote:crap that gotta hurt
you better take more care of yourself, do as i do...
dont do sports :P
Now see, that wouldn't be void!

He is the epitome of the next generation of geeks world wide! He is like the baby boomer generation in and of himself. A person with personality, athletic and brains! lmao...anyone know where I'm going with this...can ya help me out please?

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN »

Sounds like you are getting ready to propose to him...

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

Ummm...no...that's not in anymore...

Now there are much less commitable and responsible things like life partners.

besides...I'm taken...sorry void :lol:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Here are 2 pics from the night I did it exactly one month ago and 2 pics from after the surgery the next day. Enjoy. :)

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

ouch...got some of those in my knees...

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

wow! that's the second time i've known void to post photos of himself on the web! :-D

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

Hey! That was exactly 1 month ago today those X-rays were taken! Happy 1 month brok ankle dude!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Actually today is the one month anniversary for the surgury. The one month anniversary for the broke ankle was yesterday around 6:00 or 7:00pm mountain time. :)