Politics, politics (Novell-Microsoft Deal)

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed May 16, 2007 11:04 am

I'm gonna miss Eben. He's such a bright spot:
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/05/1 ... r-of-fear/

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Wed May 16, 2007 4:35 pm

Hi All,

Microsoft has lost and they know it.

They're losing the server market to Linux.

They're losing the browser war. Firefox is closing on what, 20% of browser share. Or is it 25%... it's hard to keep track.

Microsoft is going to lose the .odf vs. .docx war, look at Mass., California, Texas, and several other US states considering making .odf their standard for government documents. In the EU, they're losing share to Linux and OpenOffice, not to mention Asia and the developing countries. When MSOffice loses out with governments, they'll begin to lose out with businesses and then their office suite virtual monopoly is finished.

What does MS have left? The desktop, and their newest, latest and greatest desktop OS is pushing people in droves to OS X, Linux or at least buying XP licenses while they still can. Nobody wants Vista.

Now, even the US courts are finally beginning to develop a slightly more reasonable stance on IP issues and software patents may be either voided, or severely limited here as they are in the EU.

Microsoft is desperate and FUD is all they can respond with. It's all they have left. Well, that and a lot of money. But with they recent .mp3 patent ruling against them for $1.5 billion, how much longer will they even have that.

Hell, even Gates is abandoning the sinking ship Microsoft has become.

These latest moves are like the last violent thrashings of a mortally wounded beast. They're not a threat to Linux or open source software. They refuse to reveal the patents Linux and open source allegedly infringe on because they likely infringe on many more open source and other patents themselves and certainly can't afford that battle. They'd be lucky to have even as much success as SCO has had with their IP infringement claims and if Microsoft pursues them they will alienate customers, both large and small whlie creating a lawyer feeding frenzy on the remains of their financial coffers.

Microsoft has proven with Vista and Office07 that they can no longer innovate or create desireable software, though I'm not certain that they could ever do that. But these recent releases are even worse than WinME was. Hell, this new super OS has trouble just copying and/or moving files. I was going to write "what a joke," but it's almost too sad. I won't even talk about the DRM components of Vista and "tilt bits." That'll make a lot of their customers real happy. How many MSWindows equipped computers do RIAA and MPAA buy in any given year when compared "Joe Public" worldwide? How happy will Joe Public be when Vista decides he can't play his legally purchased DVD or download, or whatever because of some DRM glitch. Or, face it, some not-so-legal .mp3 or DVD he may have. I've heard that there are some of those out and about, here and there. They may not be legal, but that won't stop their "owners" from being unhappy when they can't use them.

All Microsoft can realistically hope to achieve with these moves is to perhaps slightly slow the growth of Linux and FOSS through FUD. For a little while. A very little while.

Sit back and enjoy the show. It's one I've been waiting for for a long time.

Just my $.02

Jim

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed May 16, 2007 5:13 pm

Good post Jim! Yeah, I guess I should be happy the end game has finally begun. :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon May 21, 2007 9:36 pm

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Thu May 24, 2007 8:47 am

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu May 24, 2007 10:33 am

I'll just take it as double-speak until their "agreement" is no more.

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Yet an other one: Xandros

Post by insomnia » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:17 pm

Xandros joined happy retards family as well:

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+teams+wit ... 88254.html

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:45 pm

Heh heh, I saw that earlier. I wasn't even going to comment on it because Xandros has been long off my list of distros. This is just more exposure for them.

EDIT: Pretty funny watching all the Xandros users jumping ship:

http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic.php?t=31422

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:18 pm

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:09 am

But the bottom line is this: You can't disrespect other peoples' intellectual property and just walk away. As I believe they are going to find out.
i suspect this is overly optimistic. MS will settle out of court if anybody tries to make trouble and the whole issue will conveniently disappear for them.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:09 am

i was trying to find evidence that SuSE hadn't really gone to the dark side, since i hadn't heard anything for a while. No such luck.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/08 ... ification/
LinuxWorld Novell's chief executive has justified his company's contentious Microsoft hook-up to open source devotees by claiming the deal is critical to the long-term success of their favorite operating system.

Ron Hovsepian today, during a speech, warned LinuxWorld attendees against complacency over Linux's perceived success in both market share and partner support. He claimed Linux has not yet reached its potential, and is - in fact - at a tipping point.

Linux can only reach its potential by working with Microsoft and proprietary code, and by getting more applications running on different Linux distributions.
hear that? Linux cannot be successful without Microsoft! SuSE really do offer a poisoned chalice.