Java under GPL

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Master of Reality
guru
guru

Java under GPL

Post by Master of Reality »

Apparently Sun is opening up Java.

Slashdot article... http://developers.slashdot.org/article. ... 13/0724252

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I saw that. Great news!

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

Although the ends are great, the means are kinda iffy. I suspect Sun is not opening Java because they want to share their work with the community and foster better development. Rather, they've squeezed all the proprietary applications they can out of it, and don't want to shovel any more cash into development. To quote the slashdot article, they want to "extend the lifespan of Java". Meaning that Java in Sun's view is dead >> no longer useful to them. Fortunately, they thought that it may be useful to someone else.

(excuse me, I tend to be kinda pessimistic toward corporate attitudes and agendas, and Sun Microsystems certainly has left a trail of slime behind it in the past)

It would be nice if more abandonware was opened.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Yes it would have been nice if they had GPL'd it from the beginning but now that it is open it could be transformed into something I might actually like. :)

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda »

Indeed. I think this world would be a lot better if SW companies cared to GPL their old software. Have a look at teh quake series - that's really cool. I don't even mind they keep it closed at first.
Maybe all code should go GPL after 10 years of existence :)

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

Jenda wrote:Maybe all code should go GPL after 10 years of existence :)
Nice idea, but that would mean that our favorite multi-billion dollar $oftware company would have to open all but like 6 lines of their newest proprietary operating system.
:lol:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

And the only reason they don't have to open that last 6 lines is because those lines are already BSD licensed. :) Actually they have a heck of a lot more than 6 lines of BSD code in their OS.

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda »

Rofl :)

I didn't realise that.