NAS recommendations

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

NAS recommendations

Post by cdhgold »

I'm starting to do some research on NAS appliances. I want to find something in the terrabyte range that I can set all my systems to backup to automatically nightly. Any recommendations? or what would I need to configure if i were to build a linux box stuffed with enough capacity? would be backing up both windoze and linux systems ..

Chris

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

It wouldn't be hard to take an old PC and stuff 4 250GB drives in it. I picked up a decent used PIII 866 desktop with 512MB of RAM at work for 40 bucks and stuck a 250GB IDE drive in it and made it my MythTV box. I also use it as my backup server. I think I paid around 80 bucks for the drive from TigerDirect a while back and that even included an external USB/Firewire enclosure. Just make sure the case has room for 4 drives (which mine doesn't). Now that I think about it I have plenty of room in my main desktop case for extra drives. I might look for some cheap drives myself and move the backups to it. You may want to be more professional about it than my Rube Goldberg solutions. I just figure I can use a box for more than one function.

EDIT: A quick search on TigerDirect shows they have a 500GB (ATA-133) drive for $150 after rebate and a 320GB (SATA-II) for $80 after rebate. I'm sure there are similar deals around.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

I always thought that this was pretty nice:

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/tera-i ... asp?page=1

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Too bad they didn't give a few more details on "the gizmo", motherboard, cost etc. Looks like one of my projects, except I would have used duct tape to mount the drives. :)