uh? (mounting hfs floppy)

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Calum
guru
guru

uh? (mounting hfs floppy)

Post by Calum »

i've got a mac in one room and a PC in the other. I want to use the floppies from one machine in the other and vice versa. Since there's no hope my 16 year old mac will ever do ext2 or fat disks, i have always hoped linux will be able to mount an hfs floppy. Haven't managed this in fedora, partially because i've been using xhfs with success, but it's fiddly compared with real mounting. Now, one possibly unrelated thing i noticed when googling about mounting disks is on this page they mention the option -F to specify filesystem type, and yet i always thought it should be -t - what? is this some thing that's different on different unices?

also, any helpful hints on what module i would need to modprobe to load hfs volumes (is it, as i suspect, called "hfs"?) but more importantly, can it be done in fedora without having to recompile. I'm asking this dumbly from a location where i can't check this on the actual PC, but i do recall it wasn't as simple as that last time i tried (which was with fc4 i think, now on fc6).

In fact probably there are the remnants of this question, previously asked, elsewhere on these very forums!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Linux should detect HFS automatically without having to give it the -t param. I just mounted an HFS image last night. I don't know anything about the Mac but it sounds like it might be more a physical disk incompatibility to me. Could it be that the hardware reads/writes the tracks/sectors differently between the two platforms?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

poss...ib...ly.....

well, i wonder how hfs and xhfs are getting round that then? let me try it again tonight (or whenever i can) and see how i get on.

thanks for reply...