USA to run out of Internet in three years' time

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Calum
guru
guru

USA to run out of Internet in three years' time

Post by Calum »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/20 ... print.html

Apparently the USA's Internet usage demand will overtake the capacity of the actual network(s) by the next 3-5 years based on current spending plans. I had to chuckle at this section about BT (BT are the UK equivalent of AT&T):
We rang BT to get the company's response to the research, and discover whether or not a similar fate lies in store for British net users. But the owner of Blighty's broadband infrastructure started laughing before we could even frame our question.

We're not sure how to interpret this.

Is BT unconvinced that this is an issue even in the US? Or is the prospect of having to invest such vast sums of money so horribly terrifying that laughter is the only possible coping mechanism?

We did eventually manage to ask the telco for its opinion. "I'll think very carefully about the answer and send you an email," the press officer said.

We're still waiting. Presumably the reply has been caught up in a broadband traffic jam.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

The reply has come!
Update

BT has sent us the following statement:

BT keeps a very careful watching brief on capacity and demand to ensure that the former is not outstripped by the latter. To that end, we have increased DSL speeds from 512 Kbs to up to 8 Mbps, and will be starting to triple these speeds to up to 24 Mbps from next spring. We are also committed to using fibre in greenfield sites from next year, and will play a full and active role in the forthcoming debate on next generation access and the way forward for UK plc.
Possibly...more fearmongering like the millenium bug?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

probably, but without the fearmongering i think the millenium bug *would* have been a big deal.

also, i question bt's integrity, given that i have some contact with BT, and regarding this "greenfield" cable laying, i am less than convinced that they use the latest in optical fibre the whole time.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

I'm on Virgin/Telewest/Blueyonder or whatever their name is this week...It's all copper coax...

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

yes i believe telewest is now called "virgin media", which is what i have as well. ditched bt, and virgin media's service (not customer service, but the quality of the service they provide) does seem superior to BT to me.