How to add more kernels after upgrade

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Basher52
guru
guru

How to add more kernels after upgrade

Post by Basher52 »

I'm kinda ashamed that I don't remember this and I can't understand why I didn't wrote it down on my "little red bock of Linux" :( sorry
I've tried to search this forum but have probably not found the correct words for it, cos I do think I've already asked it :(

I'm on my knees.... how do I add the number of "saved" kernels before they are removed from an upgrade

*Sorry VM... I had too :( *

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Do you want to know how to install a second (or third, etc) kernel without removing the first? If so just "rpm -ivh kernel.xxx.rpm". Or do you want to know what versions of the kernel you used to have installed that are no longer installed? One hint would be looking at the subdirectories under /lib/modules. I don't think I really understand the question though.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

oh crap, me and my bad description enough lol. When will I learn :P

If I use 'yum update' and that installs a new kernel version.... What ability do I have to have more kernels safe, and not removed from the system since I've seen that a new kernel version might get the whole system not working.

*Sorry VM :( *

PS. if this is in the grub.conf file or some other, for me, 'system startup' file, can you get me a white paper of these, so I can read that instead of repeating my questions here? I'm starting to feel like an ***... nope... I AM an *** :P
I'm the kind of the guy that learns more and faster to ASK instead of to READ, but I know that's the lazy way lol

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

The default in Fedora 10 is to keep the last 3 kernels (3 highest versions). You can turn this off by adding "installonly_limit=0" to "/etc/yum.conf". Here is the pertinent section of the man page:

$ man yum.conf

Code: Select all

installonlypkgs
              List of packages that should only ever be installed, never updated. Kernels in particular fall into this
              category.  Defaults to kernel, kernel-smp, kernel-bigmem, kernel-enterprise, kernel-debug, kernel-unsup-
              ported.

installonly_limit
              Number of packages listed in installonlypkgs to keep installed at the same time. Setting to  0  disables
              this feature. Default is '3'.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

yeah, THAT what is was the yum.conf thing :P
I just changed that to 9... well just in case :P
and I can't feel that the boot partition will get full anyway :)