Where are ya mate ???

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Basher52
guru
guru

Where are ya mate ???

Post by Basher52 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:51 pm

I miss you in here, and I think not only me.........

Haven't seen you in here in a long time.
Hope it ain't no bad stuff happening to ya :(

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:16 pm

don't worry, I'm right here!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:16 am

:) I'm still around. Been really really busy with other stuff lately and not much to talk about on the Linux front unless you want to talk hacking Android. :)

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:28 am

I would love to talk hacking Android. Got a droid x from my company and have yet to root it, but I do have the SDK installed on my desktop at work, waiting for the right time to root!!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:15 pm

I rooted mine the day I got it. :) I had it all set up to act as a wifi access point for our Colorado trip and for some dum reason on the way there at the hotel in Colorado Springs I allowed an OTA update from T-Mobile that killed my root! No wifi hot spot the entire Colorado trip, at least not from my phone. I did take a Linksys router and a Yagi antenna for backup and stole it off the neighbor a half mile away of the house we were staying in for the week. :) Oh well, after we got back someone came up with a new root method and this time I installed the engineering ROM and Clockwork Mod (awesome utility!) and am actually now running a custom ROM (Cyanogen ROM). Not running 2.2 yet, still on 2.1 though.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:39 pm

I'm running rooted 2.1 on a samsung captivate and lovin it !! iWhat?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:39 pm

I have the T-Mobile MyTouch Slide. I sure wish someone else was paying for it though! Did you get the Wifi tether working yet? You running the ActiveSync for Exchange? If so have you hacked it not to enforce the screen lock policy? I've got both of those checked off my list.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:54 pm

have not tried tether yet .. no exchange sync set up have no need use IMAP for my email

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:25 am

Void Main wrote::) I'm still around. Been really really busy with other stuff lately and not much to talk about on the Linux front unless you want to talk hacking Android. :)
Now I'm interested in hacking android too since I just got myself a Samsung Galaxy S i9000 :P

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:35 pm

Okay, first step is to get that thing rooted. Second step is to get wireless tethering working. Then we can move on to geek points by changing the settings database with sqlite3, and hacking the xml etc. :) Of course getting ClockworkMod Recovery and ROM Manger on there to play around with different ROMs is a must (if your phone is supported).

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:52 am

I was googling for how to get this rooted and they talked about update.zip
(ex. http://www.techlivez.com/2010/07/how-to ... -galaxy-s/ or http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how ... gle-click/)
but downloading a file from like RS don't seems OK to me since I know lot of crap is uploaded there.

Next thing is how the warranty works with this thing hacked cos since it wasn't cheap (864.50 USD) and it has a 2 year warranty ... :P

But the thing I'm really interested in is to install things that isn't on the Swedish Android Market site and that seems to be a lot, also to get Androin 2.2 in there since this one only has 2.1-u1.

Is there a way to restore it back to the way it was? like NOT rooted?
and also making a backup of how it is right now so if something goes bad at some point I can restore it so it works again, or is there a change to really f*ck it up so you just have to throw it away?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:59 am

To do the backup you want to have ROM manager installed with Clockwork recovery. As far as warranty goes that is something you just have to take a chance on if you are so brave. The rooting process for your phone looks *extremely* easy compared to what I had to go through.

Another thing I am not sure about is how the OS and phone drivers might be different for Sweden vs what they are here. Maybe there is no difference but I don't really know. You might want to ask some of those questions on the Android forums (I like the xda forums).

Oh, maybe the first thing you might want to do is download the Android SDK and learn about debugging mode and how to connect to it and transfer files and perform other operations using the "adb" command that comes in the SDK.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:39 am

I'll take a look at that.

btw, there seems to be a difference between EU and USA of this phone
(http://androidandme.com/2010/07/hacks/r ... -versions/)

Quote: "Russian developer LeshaK of Samdroid was the first to gain root access on the Galaxy S (i9000) and the community over at XDA-developers has taken his work and ported it to the U.S. versions of the phone."

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:19 am

Yeah, so if they are different I don't know what the consequences of flashing the wrong ROM would be. I guess you guys use different frequencies or cell protocols but I don't really know much about phone technology itself.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:54 am

You could be right about the frequencies, think I better look for a Swedish forum about rooting it, but some stuff might be same though like some apps and stuff.