I really do need your input about this.

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
bazoukas
programmer
programmer

I really do need your input about this.

Post by bazoukas » Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:59 am

On Thursday our head nacho instructor wants so have a meeting with the students to form a Programmer's Club. Good idea.

Now let me give you some info though.
a) She wants to take Linux Administration (not networking-mostly scripting) out of the course. Yeah good idea since Linux is an OS made by programmers FOR programmers.

b) The majority of the people in MY class ( I dont have a clue whats the deal with the people in the other programming classess) are sluckers. A semester ago I carried on my back three students and they got an A because of the team project that I did from start to end.

c) You tell them that you dont need to warez compilers. You can download the gcc compiler for windows and you are all good to go and they look at me and go "But its not from Microsoft" or "I dont know how to use it". :sigh:

d)You have asked them to start some kind of project that is outside of our school, just for the fun of it and they all go like..."uhh yeah,,,huh?"

END OF BACKGROUND INFO!!!! *And again am talking about the guys in MY class*

Now i have come up with some ideas to lay down on the meeting such us:

A) Have a small shop with CDs where students can copy free compilers and other GPL software (not Linux Software only but windows as well). Include also a small desk info to inform students about other OSs and provide CDs to copy.

B) Create a forum where we can go and exchange ideas, help each other with concepts in Programming and forums of that nature. That way a database will be created and new students can do searches and find answers that are related with what we covered in school instead of going on a wild goose hunt.

C) Have some LAN games so students will also get to know some basics things about networking and also teach on how to build a PC and install an OS.
(Yes, even the best students in there dont have a clue on how to install an OS. Not all of them, but plenty).

My question is this, should I bother saying all this taking into account the background info I gave you in fear of nobody giving a crap or/and people just blowing the whole thing up and nothing is to be done?

OR

Just let it be, and work on my own on the background and when I have a proper Forum setup, go to the Dean and whomever needs to know of it and tell them about it and having something ACTUALLY DONE with out the BS and all the rest. You see, am not the person you would want to be a "politician". Not cause am rude. Far from it. I just go around the bull hockey and get to the point, and people tend to get ...i dunno....fill in the blank.

Am thinking of laying down the other ideas and keep the forum idea on my own and just show up when am done with it.

Your thoughts?

Thank you

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:52 am

you can't get people motivated if they will not motivate themselves, so i would say that you shouldn't use your own time and effort trying to give them all something they will not appreciate. you should make them aware they have a choice, but if they choose not to take their opportunities, well there's nothing more you can do.

if they really don't caRE about any of this oops, you'd be better off finding others who do want to work with you (extracurricularly) and thinking of ways to help yourself rather than people who don't want helped.

still, if they are taking opportunities away from you while you are trying to learnm then that's another matter entirely.

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:16 am

Hey Bazoukas,

If the tutor in question really values your input in this then you should make it clear that you want to work with Linux, that working with M$ Windows is too easy, and you can do that easily, you want to learn something, not rehash old stuff. Extra currilcular activities are a chance to increase your knowledge in areas you may not cover in class. If your input is not valued then you probably will not gain much from the class.

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:40 am

Thanks guys.

Ill play it by ear.

There is gonna be an instructor there that graduated from M.I.T that we started to get along very well , because he saw that am intrested in doing things outside of school. The lead instructor though,,,gah,,,,she is a good person and all but,,,,,,blah.

It will be a moments decision on what am gonna do and it gonna depend, on who is gonna be there and the general climate of the meeting.

If i get the feeling that there is a group of people that are want to do something more, Ill open up, otherwise ill close my mouth and just keep doing what I do on my own.