Am I outta line?

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Am I outta line?

Post by Void Main » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:17 am

Last night I caught an article on http://linuxtoday.com that explained how to install Apache+PHP on Windows:

http://linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/20 ... 0526OSSVNT

The article makes not one mention of Linux and in fact suggested that if you had Win9x you should upgrade to WinNT/2k/XP to get everything to work properly.

I see this as a slap in the face to Linux and really felt offended seeing it there so I made a comment:

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?l ... SV-NT-0000
Is there any particular reason that "Linux"today has an article about how to get something running on Winblows? I just don't get it.... Seems in no way related to Linux if you ask me. The article even goes so far as to suggest you get the right version of Windows, win9x will not do. I sure hope this is some sort of sick joke.
to which the managing editor replied:

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?l ... SV-NT-0003
> Is there any particular reason that "Linux"today has an article about how to get something running on Winblows? I just don't get it.... Seems in no way related to Linux if you ask me. The article even goes so far as to suggest you get the right version of Windows, win9x will not do. I sure hope this is some sort of sick joke.

Clue: Apache-->Open Source. Something we also cover from time to time.

Peace,

Brian Proffitt

Mana ging Editor
I have replied again but it hasn't shown up in the comments yet. I basically said that I come to Linux Today for Linux news. If I wanted to know how to install Apache+PHP on Windows I might have considered browsing http://apachetoday.com and that I thought the article was a slap in the face to Linux.

If the article would have rather suggested to go and get an installation CD from any major Linux distribution and do a default install then Apache and PHP would be up and running automatically, no voodoo required.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but the whole thing just gets to me. Am I wrong? Don't get me wrong, I think Apache and PHP are the greatest things since sliced bread but they are not Linux. The article would have been more than acceptable had it been an article about special configuration of Apache relating to a Linux distribution. In fact I might not have questioned it even if it didn't relate to Linux *or* Windows and was specific to Apache, but it would have been more appopriately placed on http://apachetoday.com.

[/rant]

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:48 am

i think his answer to you is impudent and puerile, and could have said much the same thing in a more polite fashion, however the sentiment he expresses still does not effectively answer the question in my opinion. If i bought a magazine called "XP Works" or similar, how likely am i to find instructions for how to set up apache in linux?

i cannot understand the IT journalist's natural instinctive need to suck microsoft's privates even when supposedly writing about linux.

ThePreacher
scripter
scripter

Post by ThePreacher » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:54 am

You are correct Void Main, I personally dont give a rats ass about windows while reading a linux site. How exactly will that article help the countless linux users who read the site? Well it wont. Thats why it doesnt belong there. Whens the last time you went to a windows site, and the had instructions on installing Internet Explorer in linux using Wine. They wouldnt because that isnt their target audience. Thanks for mentioning this to me though, now I have something to write an article about for my website.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:26 am

The headline was also on "justlinux.com". Sounds like they should be sued for false advertising. I am sure they are being paid off because there seems to be a rise in Microsoft infatuation lately. It seems that at least 25% of the articles have Microsoft in the headline. Can't beat free press, whether it's meant to be good or bad it keeps the name in the headlines. Well, I'm sick of seeing it. Of course then I go start a thread on the subject, not too smart.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:28 pm

Tee hee, I've got a good one going over at justlinux.com:

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthre ... adid=99545

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:48 pm

Groan.

No, I think you're quite reasonable in your thoughts and the way you expressed them.
Unfortunately I have no more time for online arguements, or even moderately heated discussion for that matter, the MES succesfully beat that out of me.

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:12 pm

tbh, whenever you see Linux you always see a mention of Microsoft or Windows lurching around somewhere - why is this!?

if you go to any ms/windows websites theres no word of Linux, so wth is going on? :/

One day Linux will be a Operating System. Not an alternative to Windows.

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:50 pm

i agree with you Void Main. justlinux should be just linux. the article being discussed has no place on the site. weak.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu May 01, 2003 2:21 am

interestingly i agree with everything you said in that other thread void main, and i think that those people who are trying to show you up as an anger blinded buffoon and saying it's no big deal have really got a problem with their own apathy.

maybe i am just a zealot too, but it really pisses me off when people stand up for their right to be vague. if they have enough energy to stand up for vagueness then why are they still vague?

sorry, getting off topic.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu May 01, 2003 5:24 am

I have to tell you, I saw many nasty comments on all of those Linux related so-called news sites in the past and now I see why. They put up a complaint forum, I had what I felt to be a legit complaint, the moderators seemed to just dismiss it. What a waste of a good domain name, and what a professional way to handle complaints. Oh well, there usually isn't any real news on those sites anyway, guess I can save myself some extra time each day and not visit them.

ThePreacher
scripter
scripter

Post by ThePreacher » Thu May 01, 2003 9:34 am

The comments you made were quite amusing void main on the justlinux site. It seems that people forget that linux is not the same thing as open source. No one discusses using IIS on an apache site, no one discusses IE on a Mozilla site, and no one should discuss Windows on a linux site.

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Thu May 01, 2003 10:53 am

this was my reply. I dunno if it will make it on the board though. We shall see.
First of all you could have done a better job that just saying "Clue: Apache-->Open Source". That is not a constructive reply for a Managing Editor.

Second of all. Linux is the kernel is it not?
This is a Linux site is it not?

Why there should be articles about configurations about Open Source programs with an Operating System other than Linux.
People come here to read about news that revolve around Linux and not MS.

LINUX TODAY is it not?
It is not Apache today, where tips about Apache and different Operating Systems, would be a green light and welcomed.

So please Mr Brian Proffitt

Managing Editor get a clue, or change the name of this site to, OPEN SOURCE TODAY!

Thank you.

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Thu May 01, 2003 6:00 pm

Hi All,

Voidmain, I would see your response , perhaps other than the use of the word "Winblows" as perfectly rational and justified. Micro$oft has been able to dominate the desktop market through errr.... ummmm... shall I say questionable business tactics. A site supposedly dedicated to the promotion of Linux as as OS should be very sensitive to its readers' aversions to the corruption of programs designed to operate on Linux by evidently advocating their use on Windows and providing instructions on how to accomplish this perversion.

I would imagine that you read "Linux Journal" and have followed the debate in the editorial section as to whether or not to permit Micro$oft ads in the magazine. Personally, I think that I would allow my subscription to lapse if they permitted such ads. Web sites and print publications supposedly dedicated to the advancement of Linux and supported by Linux users should be very wary of associating themselves with Micro$oft in any way, shape, or form for fear of alienating themselves from the very people that support them. If they want to discuss porting Linux programs to Solaris, MacOS, or VMS, I would guess that most Linux users would be tolerant if not supportive, but this is pure and unadulterated BS.

Please keep up the good work!

Jim

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri May 02, 2003 1:52 am

Personally, I think that I would allow my subscription to lapse if they permitted such ads.
damn right! this is the only reason i don't support the otherwise excellent magazine 'Linux World' in australia - microsoft ads on their site and in their magazine.

whether people say it doesn't matter or not, to many people it clearly does, and if those people's custom is valued then their views should be respected.

people who have already walked out on microsoft once (to favour linux) will not think too long before they walk out on a 'linux' magazine because of its microsoft adverts.

ThePreacher
scripter
scripter

Post by ThePreacher » Fri May 02, 2003 1:48 pm

Calum wrote:
Personally, I think that I would allow my subscription to lapse if they permitted such ads.
damn right! this is the only reason i don't support the otherwise excellent magazine 'Linux World' in australia - Micro$oft ads on their site and in their magazine.

whether people say it doesn't matter or not, to many people it clearly does, and if those people's custom is valued then their views should be respected.

people who have already walked out on Micro$oft once (to favour linux) will not think too long before they walk out on a 'linux' magazine because of its Micro$oft adverts.
If I owned a linux magazine, I would give linux companies discounted prices for advertising while charging microsoft 5 times the normal amount. Then I would be sure to have a microsoft bashing ad right next to it.