What I don't much like about Linux

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Mon May 05, 2003 5:11 pm

I will start on a random order.

P2P http://gtk-gnutella.sourceforge.net/ and it does work.

Text editor http://anjuta.sourceforge.net/. Since they are just young kids, its not a good idea to force them in something it bores them to death such as Vi. My moto is for everything is "start slow". Anjuta may not be vi but has lots and lots of features and its easy on the eyes (nice eyecandy) and there is also in anjuta in a window that acts/is a shell terminal.

About the open office, well thats not normal. I am on a 1.5ghz and it doesnt take 15 seconds. If it did I would be beyond pissed.

About tax programs,,,,am clueless since i never got into that.

You might wanna use netraverse instead of wine to run windows. Its closed source ( i think) but its easier to set up.

Games! Well, now companies are starting to become more bold, and trust me they have taken notice of Linux and they already starting porting major games. It will take some time though before ALL companies will be linux friendly.

Well thats all i could think right now. Hope it helped a bit.

And even though I use Linux for almost everything (i have an MS Access course this semester), there are things that DO CeNsOrEd the hell out of me with Linux. Well its not with Linux but with a good deal of Linux apps.
The thing that pisses me off with many Linux apps is the install procedure.
Dependencies are not only part of the RPM world. Even from source you can have problems.
Making mplayer for example (just an example) to work, shouldnt take more than 5 minutes. Apps like these are NOT of any great computing importance. They are just "cupholders" that make your ride more enjoyable. And programmers of those apps should be more efficient. Otherwise whining and crying about how people prefer windows is plain moronic.

I dont mind editing text files and spending a good deal of time for some IMPORTANT Linux app but I do get fustrated when simple programs come with many installation quirks. That simply does not make any sense.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon May 05, 2003 5:55 pm

bazoukas wrote:I will start on a random order.
The thing that pisses me off with many Linux apps is the install procedure.
Dependencies are not only part of the RPM world. Even from source you can have problems.
Making mplayer for example (just an example) to work, shouldnt take more than 5 minutes. Apps like these are NOT of any great computing importance. They are just "cupholders" that make your ride more enjoyable. And programmers of those apps should be more efficient. Otherwise whining and crying about how people prefer windows is plain moronic.
Hmmm, I don't know if you just picked a bad example but "apt-get install mplayer" has worked excellent for me for quite some time now. And dependencies are a good thing if you ask me (as I've mentioned a couple a hundred thousand times). I would rather have an RPM not install if prerequisite software is not installed rather than installing and crashing as soon as I try and run it. And of course there are varying levels of source packages because there are varying levels of programmers who write them.

I would some day like to see everything in RPM format (or similar) in apt repositories. Everything that is in a repository should work or it shouldn't go in the repository. Of course you could just switch to Debian and you'll already have this set up (but with DEB packages rather than RPM, same stuff, different smell, but a lot more of it). Problem is you might not like Debian for other reasons. I do like Debian just as much as I like Red Hat, but for different reasons.

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Mon May 05, 2003 6:01 pm

Totally agree with you on that one. If there was repositories that contain all the RPMs that would be perfect. And yeah aptget solved my problem with RH but i had some problems under suse with it. Problems that a simple user will find too much to bother with.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon May 05, 2003 6:20 pm

bazoukas wrote:And yeah aptget solved my problem with RH but i had some problems under suse with it. Problems that a simple user will find too much to bother with.
A lot of that has to do with repository quality control, procedures, standards etc. Debian is pretty good at this and it would be nice to have similar for all the RPM based distros. I believe we're getting there fairly rapidly. Six months ago I never heard of apt for RPM, thought it was just a Debian thing (but a good one). It's really become popular fast and that's a good thing. I see light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Tue May 06, 2003 2:13 am

Making mplayer for example (just an example) to work, shouldnt take more than 5 minutes.
haw! it takes noticably longer than that on my celery 700!

mplayer has a large number of options you can pass to the configure script, i was annoyed at mplayer for being so irritating to install when i was (more of) a newbie, but now i think mplayer must be installed from source to make sure you get all the right options configured. now i have done it once though (well, several times actually), i used checkinstall to snag a package of it configured how i want it (although on a celery 700, there's not a huge deal of point in installing mplayer anyway :( )
the one thing that annoys me about mplayer is the fact that you can't build it against libraries that you plan to install at a later date (but that would just be ridiculous! :D ).

I might be wrong but i don't think it would be possible to make an rpm that could ask you what configure options you wanted and then install mplayer using my personally chosen options. of course there are source rpms, but is it possible to make a package that gives you the choice in the same way that the mplayer configure script does? just wondering.