Promote OpenSource dot org

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
X11
guru
guru

Promote OpenSource dot org

Post by X11 »

The site www.promote-opensource.org is great the people there are great, come on over and Promote-OpenSource.

"Promote-OpenSource has really improved my love life" - Satisifyed Customer.

Actually, just a messege to inform that the site rules.

Register now.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

X11 is the new goodwill ambassador for promote-opensource.org! ;)

actually panos has done a really nice job with the site, and several of us are busy adding content as and when time permits so hopefully it really will become a force in promoting open source.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

I'll write some doc's this summer.
I have committted myself to documentation writing and rpm/tgz packaging this summer. They're the only things I have time to do to help GNU/Linux.

Also to the FSSG crew, at the end of my Linux Format this month I noticed this:
Jason Baco in Linux Format wrote:Next month we will look at how to actually get your advocacy material into the hands of people, how to push it and how to manage feedback and queries. Remember to use the LXF forums to let me know what you think of this series and any issues you would like to be covered.
I am thinking of giving them a heads-up to FSSG, do you think this is a good idea? Should I do it?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Hey, that's a pretty cool site.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

tux, yes indeed why not?
panos' site has been gathering a few users recently i think (from what he says), anybody who wants to contribute to the free software support group thing do consider signing up on the bulletin board at openopen.cjb.net as this is where the behind the scenes discussion goes on between whoever is involved with it all. there's no obligation though, 28 people have signed up and maybe between 4 and 8 people tend to be active at any one time, just sign up and drop in when you feel you want to.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

Most users ever online was 5 on Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:37 am.

Anyways, Its nice to see people like the site, I like that in a site, dont you, Im sure you do.

Anyway I am currently working on an article that points out the "effects" of open source on people, and the effect it will have on soceity, and the way we think.

Panos
user
user

Post by Panos »

Wow, X11 has really become a good will ambassador for promote-opensource. :D I was thinking about mentioning it here at void's forums but I didn't know if you'd like it or not. Well, since you like it, let me say a few things about the site.

1) The promote-opensource page relies heavily on what the members contribute. It's a site for the public by the public sort of. Should anyone want to contribute just register and do so whenever you feel like it.

2) The main rule for posting is that nothing is censored just as long as it has to do with open source or/and free software directly or indirectly, from news, tutorials, links etc.

3) The site is hosted by Linuxwebhost purely on my expenses and will continue to be that way. I consider this a way of giving something back to the community for all those wonderful years, I've been involved with open source and free software.

4) Finally, the site is being run on Xoops, an excellent OO (Object Oriented) CMS, written in PHP and licensed under the GPL.

Tux, by all means feel free to drop LXF a line about the site and whenever you have some free time in your hand or an article you'd like to submit feel free to do so.

:wink:

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 »

But GNU is againt the open-source movement! :roll:

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

no they aren't.

i am actually going to write a FAQ question on the promote-opensource.org site about this very issue (which will be found on this page once it is finished) in the next few days, but in a nutshell, the open source initiative and the free software foundation are not against each other, they just take a different approach towards the same goal, for a number of reasons regarding personal priorities and historical occurences.

Panos
user
user

Post by Panos »

agent007 wrote:But GNU is againt the open-source movement! :roll:
Actually, they're not. As Calum wrote, both movements take a different approach to the same goal actually. What the FSF does, is simply discourage the use of terms such as 'open' when referring to Free Software, to avoid the conflict of those terms and keep them distinguishable (<- is this the correct word?).

Some people prefer to be more harsh towards the OSI and refer to them as splitters, traitors etc. I prefer not to see it that way, eventhough I would like to see one single movement and not two different ones. Instead, I like to use the term open source to refer to the availability of the source code along with the binaries, which is common in both licenses. What happens from then on however, depends on those licenses as well, that is how shareable or distributable the modified code will be etc.

Furthermore, I also prefer not to confuse visitors with complicated terms as this would result in them leaving more confused than they were when they visited the page.

Anyway, I suggest we wait for Calum's contribution which I trust that it will be excellent as always :)

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

Can someone else contribute? Do somthing rather then balbber on the openopen forums? you know post on the front page, promote the site, our messege.

Actually this should be on the openopen forum.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

x11, your criticism as always is perfect, why is it that i appear to have made more contributions to promote-opensource.org and openopen.org than you have if i am so lax? let's not start the bickering here as well, one set of forums is bad enough.
distinguishable (<- is this the correct word?).
you meant 'distinctive'. :)

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

It wasnt you calum, you panos, and me, seem to be the only people doing anything. I think Tux is, and a few others who arnt doing much on the Internet and more on the Real World. We need Image, Image is everything.