How did you get here?

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:18 pm

ahh. i do not venture here much anymore. but, i found my way here from the unmentionable place. At least here, there is some actual positive activity going on. unlike the uh, forum that we shall not name, uh forum.

TheQuirk
programmer
programmer

Post by TheQuirk » Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:23 pm

Along on Captain Hampton's ship, while battling the midget pirates of willygoat, protecting the Sandwich Island from them.

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:14 pm

Well even though i never met or spoken to void main, he holds a special place in my heart. And i do say this with a serious tone.
He was the guy that made me go from a linux wannabe to a 101% Linux user (Yes, I have broken to pieces my windows cd, for real. Its now 4 pieces. Smashed it on my desk). And the very fact that he often times stayed awake to show me how things work, that just blew my mind big time. I only wish there were more people in this world that show so much thirst for knowledge. By no means i am not a Linux expert, yet. There are times where I pull my hair off and curse like a sailor, but meh, its because I am still learning.
For real, he helped me open my mind even more. Even though I am in the minority as all Linux users are, the wealth of knowledge i gained and still gaining is to me a mind trip. And voidmain gave me the jumpstart. He introduced me to a world where like it or not, if you dont show love for it, it does not welcome you and on top of that, it wont work for you. I mean lets face it, in order to use and support Linux, you need to have love for knowledge and freedom.

This all may sound corny, but its not and I just wanted to use this chance to say a thank you to void. And for those who gonna say, "man does he kiss void's butt".
Well I ask you this, i dont know the guy and am not expecting a job promotion from him nor do I gain money from saying all that. I just wanted to say thank you.

And oh, yeah I heard about this site during the flame wars on that "OTHER" site.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:33 pm

Wow, thank Bazoukas! :) That's what makes Linux great, everyone seems to enjoy passing on knowledge.

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:48 pm

Void Main wrote:Wow, thank Bazoukas! :) That's what makes Linux great, everyone seems to enjoy passing on knowledge.
Anytime void. Antytime :)

Yep:) Linux is one of the few things IMO that are still pure. It may be lines of code with out a soul in them, but its pure and driven by enthousiasm. Things that the community promotes.
And to think you were doing all this 10 years ago, when most of us didnt even know what an Operating System was. Meh, if i knew better I would have started with Linux in 1995 when I came to the US. Instead i jumped on the AOL wagon. :roll:

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:56 pm

To be honest I just got plain fed up with being negative about something, when something like Linux exists. And after some sites I visit have deteriorated into rant-a-thons, flame wars caused because people can't read with any degree of comprehension, and the basic negative vibes that a lot of tech. sites exhibit (slashdot, MES, and many of the pro Linux sites that spend hours bashing non-Linux companies, to name a few). This all goes against the positive vibe attitude I developed after taking myself through rehab (not the software revolution type) several years ago.

Thanks to Void's attitude this site, whilst not big, is a source of useful information, that is slowly growing. I stay because this site offers up some of the most useful tips anywhere I visit. And so I get to leach. Of course I'm using that info outside to get people to convert. slowly but surely they are seeing the benefits to society that Linux brings.

BradChandler
n00b
n00b

Post by BradChandler » Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:22 pm

Ok, what is the site that can't be named? I followed a link from void's profile on Ars.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:20 pm

forums.fornicatemicrosoft.com but using harsher language in the URL.

SuSELinux
user
user

Post by SuSELinux » Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:50 pm

How did I get here......

The hell if I know!

I found this place through another forum, wink wink nudge nudge

I like this forum, ALOT of info here. I'm reminded everytime I start reading through it that Im a Linux Peon (is that how you spell {pee}{on})

But.....may I dogress for a moment

Sure you can SuSELinux

Thankyou

Don't mention it, please go on

I like to think of myself as proof that any idiot can use Linux, and that it is an entirely viable desktop OS. :shock: That emoticon is the funniest thing I've ever seen

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:48 am

Void Main wrote:forums.fornicatemicrosoft.com but using harsher language in the URL.
void, that site is sensitive to the issue of harsher language and has now changed to "microsuck.com" so http://forums.microsuck.com will now work.