Question about html code.

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 »

Ok, so I took every single piece of advice you guys gave me and applied it to my site :)
It took me the whole evening to do it because I had to redesign it from bottom up using tables instead of frames, plus I forgot a lot of things and made some mistakes so I had to upload each page at least 3 times :lol:

Now I hope you're not gonna tell me that tables are bad for old/text-only browsers huh!!!! :wink:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Tables=bad, get rid of them. :) JUST KIDDING! Tables=great!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Panos wrote:
ThePreacher wrote:
Void Main wrote:I don't believe any of the HTML standards require <META> tags (maybe XML/XHTML does, not sure). I can understand the need for <HEAD> tags even in framed pages (actually frames are not allowed in many standards, correct me if I am wrong).
Actually, my page was not valid html transitional until I included

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
That's true, especially in HTML 4.0 and 4.01 and I forgot about that, sorry. Void Main confused me a bit though, when he wrote that he hasn't included the specific <meta> tag. :roll:
Are you trying to say that my pages are not valid HTML 4.01 transitional even though they pass the w3 validator for HTML 4.01 Transitional? You don't have to use "META" tags to specific the "charset". It can be done in your web server headers which mine does. I have Apache configured (actually it's the default, at least in Apache 2.x) to send the charset in the header so you don't have to put it in a META tag in your HTML. To see your web server's headers you can use "lynx" among other methods:

Code: Select all

$ lynx -head -dump http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
which will show this header:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 23:47:47 GMT
Server: Not IIS and certainly not Windows!
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

Panos
user
user

Post by Panos »

No, that's not what I'm saying at all! I was a bit absent-minded when I wrote the post and didn't think about that, sorry. :wink: