Networking problems

Place to discuss Gentoo
X11
guru
guru

Networking problems

Post by X11 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:46 am

I have recently decided to move a laptop of mine to Gentoo Linux.

The laptop has no ability to boot from USB and the DVD drive was completely FUBAR'd. So I borrowed an adaptor from one of my brothers workmates to interface the laptop's harddrive with my PC so I could install Gentoo with the 2006.1 livecd using VMware to run the install.

Everything has went well except that I cannot get xorg working yet (I just use my laptop for writing so VIm is fine for me at the moment) and I am having troubles with networking. Once I can get the network stuff working I should be able to use elinks or lynx to solve my other problems.

Basically, on any Unix/Linux system I configure the network like this and it always works, or these lines specifically on Gentoo:
# modprobe sis900
# ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.12
# route add 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.0.1
# echo nameserver 192.168.0.1 > /etc/resolv.conf
However if I ping the response is like this
# ping google.com
connect: network is unreachable
What am I doing wrong?

I don't even have a dhcp client installed (for some reason). It does however have no problems doing address resolution for internet addresses (the router just relays them I believe).

John.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:21 pm

Looks like you are on the right track. Is it the right driver? What does "dmesg" show after loading the driver? Do you get link lights on the network card? What does "ifconfig eth0" show? Is this card supported by the "ethtool" command? That command will show you your link status and what speed and duplex have been negotiated. If all that checks out what does "netstat -rn" show? Is your default route getting set properly?

Regarding X have you checked for errors in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log (name might be slightly different in Gentoo).

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:28 pm

I am currently at work but I will check all of that when I get home later..