Fedora Core 2

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Doogee
administrator
administrator

Fedora Core 2

Post by Doogee » Sun May 16, 2004 8:45 am

(From SlashDot)

Fedora Core 2 has been released to mirrors, due for public consumption on Tuesday 18th May. However, you can grab it now via BitTorrent, so get it while it's fresh! It's available in both the 4 CD or DVD versions.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun May 16, 2004 9:37 am

Outstanding! Maybe I can have it up by the end of the day. :) I'll turn this thread into a "sticky" as it will surely get popular.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun May 16, 2004 9:45 am

Can you give a link to the torrent download? All I can find is the TEST3 version.

EDIT: By the looks of this very fresh article it might have been available at the main download site. I get a "forbidden" right now though so I betting this might have been open accidentally.

EDIT2: I found an apt repository with FC2 so I am in the process of duplicating that repository locally so I can get a head start upgrading my machines. Dig around on www.kernel.org mirrors and you shall find the way.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun May 16, 2004 7:35 pm

Upgrading from FC1 -> FC2 via apt is a *lot* more work than upgrading from RH9 -> FC1. I ran into several snags and I haven't quite got them all worked out yet, but I am sure I will get them. I think the main reason for the problems is the big jump in versions on all the major components. Kernel 2.4 -> 2.6, Gnome 2.4 -> 2.6, XFree86 -> Xorg, etc, etc.

The first thing I noticed when upgrading is it removed all of my old kernels but didn't install a new one. I forgot that I didn't have a kernel installed and rebooted, DUH! So I rebooted into rescue mode with an FC1 CD (I don't have the FC2 CDs) and extracted the kernel RPM into the /boot and /lib/modules and added an entry for it in the grub.conf. That got me up enough to where I could actually install the kernel RPM. Don't make this mistake! The next problem I noticed is that it didn't actually install X or gdm, although all the supporting software was installed. The apt repositories only seem to be partially up for FC2 (I guess that should be expected).

Now I have to see if I can get the 3rd party stuff working (nVidia, etc). Hopefully upgrading from CD goes much more smoothly.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun May 16, 2004 9:00 pm

So far I am going to have to recommend not upgrading to FC2 via apt, unless you are adventurous. It can be done (I did it) but as I said in the previous post there are some hitches. I wish I had the CDs so I could see how a CD upgrade and how a clean installation goes. If you have an nVidia card, the nVidia driver will not work with FC2 at this time.

There is no NTFS module yet either but I suspect there to be resolution to both of those in the near future. There also are no alsa modules built for it yet. I'm sure all of this will come in the next few days but in the mean time, it's a little painful at this early stage. I also have had some RPMS install, but didn't seem to install fully (files missing and had to reinstall some RPMs).

Just giving you all fair warning....

EDIT: I am removing my "warning" since all of the apt repos now seem up to date. Upgrading via apt I would still suggest leaving for the most adventurous and experienced. Anything else, two thumbs up!
Last edited by Void Main on Fri May 21, 2004 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Mon May 17, 2004 3:51 am

I'm happy with SlackWare :P
I might have a go of FC2 when these issues get ironed out, as you say, it shouldn't be long.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon May 17, 2004 10:31 am

I also realized after posting my previous note that the ALSA modules were already compiled and included with the default FC2 kernel. I just had to reconfigure my modules.conf as it was before.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon May 17, 2004 7:34 pm

Ok, synaptic is now available and the broken dag repo is fixed. FreshRPMS still doesn't have their FC2 repo online. I was getting an annoying message from the RPM command every time I used it about a context file relating to selinux. I was able to turn that message off by setting the %__file_context_path var in the /usr/lib/rpm/macros file to %{nil}:

Code: Select all

# Path to selinux source policy file context patterns.
%__file_context_path %{nil}

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon May 17, 2004 9:35 pm

Just as an FYI, what little I have played with FC2 I have to say that I think I am really going to like it. I've spotted many improvements with the new Gnome 2.6 and everything else included. Since FreshRPMS isn't up yet with the FC2 repo I lost my "dvdrip" program (actually called dvd::rip) because of dependencies and a new version of Perl. I downloaded the SRC RPMS and built a version for FC2 and installed it so I got that back. About the only think I don't have yet is 3d accelerated GL support because I have to wait for new nVidia drivers. I could install a stock 2.6.5 kernel and compile in a way so the existing nVidia driver will work but I can wait. I expect it won't take long and the 2d support from the nVidia driver from Xorg works great!

I do expect a lot of questions/issues from people who upgrade and I think I've worked through most everything without a problem and can help people with the issues as they bring them up. Nothing serious.

Speaking of dvd::rip, if you have a DVD drive and want to do some ripping/copying/converting then you need to check this program out. It is pretty awesome! It took me a little while to figure out how to use it but once I did it is just superior! I have a laptop that only has a CD drive in it and I would like to use it to watch videos for our long car rides (for the kids). What I did was use dvd::rip to convert my DVDs to SVCDs and play them with xine on the laptop. You can select how many CDs you want to target the DVD to so if you want to sacrifice quality to get everything on one CD then just select "1" in the selector. If you select "2" CDs to put the movie on I find the quality to be very nearly DVD quality. CDRs are a lot cheaper than DVRs to boot! And the SVCDs will play in my home DVD player. Pretty cool! Here's a link:

http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/

Xine makes an excellent SVCD player and Ogle works best for DVDs in my opinion. This stuff is just working flawlessly, I'm so happy! :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon May 17, 2004 10:44 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ximian Exchange Connector for Evolution

Post by Void Main » Tue May 18, 2004 3:13 am

I just added the ximian Exchange connector to the FC2 repository. It's now GPL in case you missed it (was a $70 product).

Griffin518
user
user

Post by Griffin518 » Tue May 18, 2004 10:28 am

Here's a torrent link:

http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/

I'm grabbing the dvd iso right now.

Griffin518
user
user

Post by Griffin518 » Tue May 18, 2004 12:12 pm

Found another torrent tracker hidden at duke:

http://torrent.linux.duke.edu/

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Wed May 19, 2004 3:28 am

linux.duke and dulug.duke seems to be the same
it comes from the same tracker.

chartoo
user
user

Post by chartoo » Wed May 19, 2004 9:11 am

Dig around on www.kernel.org mirrors and you shall find the way.
The kernel mirrors were the fastest downloads I could find.
Except for Disk 2 the download speeds were in excess of 300kb.
Thanks for the heads up.

All the trouble I had installing Alsa in Fedora Core 1 is gone in FC2. Just had t o remember to turn up the volume on the Alsa Mixer, default is muted.
The only thing that didn't work after the upgrade from FC1 to FC2 was Core2 didn't find my onboard Intel Gigabit Lan. Once I changed the driver with the Internet configuration wizard FC2 found the Gigabit Lan.

The only thing I'd really like to see in Fedora is automounting of any and all additional hard disk partitions. I've been using Mepis and Knoppix, both Live CDs boot up with icons on the desktop for mounting all the hard disk partitions that are availabe on your system, very convenient.
What would it take to create a mount partitions icon on the Fedora desktop?

;-)